PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Re-assembling DeWalt DW735XE Thicknesser/Planer

Richard Goodwin
12-09-2011, 9:52 PM
I recently purchased a used dewalt DW735XE thicknesser sight unseen from an auction site. When I received it it had quite a bit of rust on a number of parts and so I decided to dissmantle it to enable a thorough clean-up. To do this I removed the screws at the top of each of the 4 threaded columns, wound the top of the thicknesser up untill the thread collers disengaged from the screw shafts. I was then able to lift the business part of the thicknesser off of its base which made clean-up much easier. However when I re-assembled everything I found that I could only wind the thicknesser down on the threaded shafts about 2 inches and then it locked up and wouldn't wind down any further. I noted that the thread in the collars is in 2 parts, with a gap in between. It will wind down ok on the bottom section of thread and when it starts to engage with the top section of the thread is when it locks up. Does anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this problem. Sorry if the explanation is not too easy to understand. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ruperto Mendiones
12-09-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't know if this will help... Cutterhead replacement instrucdtions here thanks to
byrd tool: http://www.byrdtool.com/Dewalt735.html

I have a dw 635 but haven't attempted any disassembly.

Best,

Ruperto Mendiones

Ronald Blue
12-09-2011, 11:09 PM
If I understand your description correctly the nuts are 2 piece with threads in both parts. My question is whether they can turn independently of each other and become out of phase or other words fighting each other. It would seem that they use a system such as this to control the possibility of excessive slop or free play. However if even one turns enough that it binds against the other section I believe you will experience this lockup. I looked at a parts break down on the Dewalt site but can't tell a lot from it. If they can't turn independently is it possible there is spring tension that pushes them apart and you need to compress them as you assemble to get them to go together? I don't know that I am correct but am making an educated guess here. Hope this gives you some help.

Richard Goodwin
12-10-2011, 3:07 AM
Hi Ron,

thanks for the suggestion. Both halves of the thread move together and I think they are machined in the one piece of steel, but I will check.