PDA

View Full Version : A Few Bowls

Thomas Heck
12-09-2011, 9:28 PM
Here is a few I've turned. I got a lathe from Harbor Freight about a month ago and a friend helped me get started and showed me a little about the tools, sanding, and finishing. I bought a supernova 2 chuck. It has did good with the shallower bowls and slung the bigger ones off. It has 50 mm jaws.

Scott Hackler
12-09-2011, 9:40 PM
Thomas, what do you mean by "slung the bigger ones off"? Are you saying the bowls are coming off the chuck? I use a SN2 with the 50mm jaws and do not loose bowls out of the chuck and I will turn some LARGE blanks. Let us know what your facing and we will help.

Congrats on a grouping of bowls!

Paul Williams
12-09-2011, 9:45 PM
Thomas, nice collection of bowls. Unless your friend can help you, you might want to post a little more information about how you chucked the bowls that got flung off to see if some of us can help you with that. Your 50 mm jaws are capable of holding pretty substaintial bowls if chucked correctly.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 9:54 PM
Really a nice bunch of bowls. I have turned some big 15 1/2" X 8" deep heavy blanks and haven't lost one. Is your tenon breaking or just coming out of the chuck? I give my chuck a really good tightening with both hands if necessary. Another thought I had when I first started I made the tenons to big and lost a couple. The jaws were almost max open and they don't have much holding power. Just some thoughts.

Harry Robinette
12-09-2011, 9:56 PM
Thomas, Not bad for starting out they look pretty good from the picture.I'm with Scott and Paul I've been using SN and SN2 for about 12 years and 2 years and don't through bowls off like that.Tell us a little more and a picture of the chuck mounted on the bowl blank also the blank just before so we can see the foot or recess your using.

Steve Vaughan
12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Thomas, same as the others - great bowls and you shouldn't be having any issues with slinging bowls off. Welcome to a very, very deep vortex. I'm thinking you're well on your way...and it's all good!

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Thomas - nice variety of bowls! I look forward to seeing more of your work as you learn to turn!

One of the really great things about being on the Creek - if you have problems turning... someone here has experienced the same thing and we can most likely figure out a way to help!

Thomas Heck
12-09-2011, 10:39 PM
I appreciate all the replies. On one that had a recess, I don't think I had enought on the outer edge. It busted out. On the natural bigger walnut bowl, it threw off several times, I tried a recess, then a tenon. I don't think my jaws have much of a dovetail. I have been cutting a slight dovetail into the bowl and a little less than 1/4 inch. Most of them have just came off and the other kind of tore out. I may not be tightening it enough. I have been snugging them with one hand. I'll try to take a pic. in the next day or so when I get back at it. Thanks again for the kindness.

robert baccus
12-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Thomas, those are nice looking bowls especially for a beginner. i launched many a bowl my first year--one out of the shop. part of the learning curve. lots of guys do but i never trust a tenon less than 2" long, especially on a heavy bowl. green wood being soft and slippery complicates the holding problem. think about what a tenon or reverse dovetail is going to look like when dry and very oval. some turners insist on screwing a faceplate on and it is a sure thing especially on the first side.. personally i use glueblocks on almost everything after turning. i attach them either with a ring or single screw.especially when reversing a bowl. i have turned green vases 110#+, outside , deepboring and all on thick CA glue and glueblock. i just finished some 70-90# bowls on a single screw and glueblock. it is much under-rated but many times times more reliable than a short tenon. i have glueblocks that i can grab on with a long nosed nova chuck and bored for a screw chuck. i probably sound biased but i turn 10-15 pieces a year 80#+. and long vases are a bugger to hold. yesterday i launched a small piece--got careless and glued to some old lacquer but i was a friends bowl....sorry--------old forester

Baxter Smith
12-09-2011, 11:58 PM
You have a nice variety of shapes for only a month of turning. You will get the holding thing figured out shortly!

It wasn't long ago I started turning(or trying to) 8-10" diameter green bowl blanks with a 2" diameter tenon using nova pin jaws. I was chasing them around the shop every few passes.:)

Scott Hackler
12-10-2011, 12:15 AM
OK, Thomas. Without a picture or two of your tenons/recesses, I am going to "wing it".

For a SN2 50mm jaw chuck.....

The tenon should be about 3/8" to 5/8" long (personal preference really. Mine are ALL 3/8" long, because I use 3 widths of my 1/8" parting tool to make them!). The tenons should also be of the diameter that allows the jaws of the chuck to ALMOST come completely shut when tightened. The tenon should also be 90 degrees to the bottom of the bowl/piece. Your tenon should NEVER bottom out inside the chuck but rather the bottom of the blank should be touching the top of the jaws. Hard wood should be tightened as hard as you can turn. A soft wood should just be tight. It is possible to tear the fibers of the tenon off the black by over tightening on a softer wood.

Recesses are, primarily, for turning very large or heavy blanks. Remember that you need some stock around the bottom of the blank to support the outward pressure of the expansion of the jaws. Your recess should be about 3/8" deep and MUST be a dovetail shape to match the outside profile of the jaws. This recess should also be small enough that you will have to close the jaws completely to place the blank onto the jaws.

Remember that the tail stock is your friend and while your roughing out a blank, you should use the tail stock for support and only remove the tail stock after the blank is roughed out (at least as much as possible).

Also, tenons cut in side grain are not as strong as an end grain tenon. So keep that in mind. Finally, make sure your tools are sharp and that your using the tools properly. A dull tool or improperly used tool will cause a LOT of force against the wood and create situations for accidents.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Thomas - Scott gave you some valuable information about the proper way to form a tenon or recess for your particular chuck. A couple of photos showing us what the tenon of the problem bowl would really help. Willing to bet that your tenon was too long and was bottoming out in the chuck... which is a big no-no because the strength of the hold comes from the jaws butting up tight against the blank. Meaning the blank can not shift or pull out of the chuck.

I look forward to the photos.

John Keeton
12-10-2011, 6:41 AM
Nice set of bowls!! +1 on Scott's recommendations. I rarely use a tenon more than 3/16" long.

Bill Bulloch
12-10-2011, 7:23 AM
I use a SN2 on both my 12" and 16" lathes and never have had a problem with pieces coming off, except when I tighten soft wood too tight. I make my tenon about 3/16" long and 2 1/4" wide. I keep my recessess around 3/16" to 1/4" deep as a rule, but have on occasions made them around 1/8" deep without a problem.

You have gotten some good advise here, but let me stress the importance of having that flat 90 degree angle at the bottom of the bowl and the tenon and to make sure that the chuck is jammed up to this flat area without the tenon bottoming out in the chuck -- a 1/4" tenon should work just fine.

Dave Ogren
12-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Welcome to "The Creek" Nice looking first bowls.
I turn all of my bowls with a recess, never lost one yet. Started a 16" O.D. X 7" bowl yesterday with a 1/4" deep recess, no problem.
Good Luck,

Dave

Don McLeod
12-10-2011, 1:27 PM
I've used the SN2 for turning bowls and don't lose one very often. I use a tenon and haven't tried a dovetail. I use a tenon depth of 3/16 - 1/4 and sized to fit the jaws. I stop occasionally to snug up the chuck. I find that a snug chuck, sharp tools and the speed suitable to the diameter of the bowl works well.

David DeCristoforo
12-10-2011, 1:31 PM
Maybe "bowl slinging" could become an new olympic sport. These are very nice first efforts! I'm glad none of them hit you in the head!!!

Joe Watson
12-10-2011, 7:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your work, they all look nice.
Im new to turning as well... you will find a wealth of knowledge, experience and opinions here - good luck.

Thomas Heck
12-10-2011, 9:21 PM
The bowl that I slung off several times is the larger walnut bowl in the pics. I finally smoothed out the bottom and used my face plate to finish it. I certainly appreciate all the advice. When I get some more started, I'll try to post pics. so you can give me some advice on what I'm doing wrong. Thanks again,

David E Keller
12-11-2011, 1:40 AM
Nicely done, Thomas! I broke a tenon off a bowl today, so you're not alone... Just keep having fun!