PDA

View Full Version : Roger's Wood

David DeCristoforo
12-09-2011, 6:42 PM
Well, I guess it's my wood now! Found this at the front door:

My first thought was that Roger had robbed a Walmart store:

A nice collection of different woods:

I'm afraid the walnut piece might have to be used for some small stuff since it has already developed a serious check right through the center. All the others look to be pretty sound. But the real stars here are the pear (bottom left) and the cherry burl (right next to it). Those have got some real promise. Wax is melting as I write this.

So Roger, I cannot thank you enough for your generous gift! I don't have a huge wood stash so this is most appreciated.

Mike Cruz
12-09-2011, 7:49 PM
Very generous of Roger! He must have more than he can turn...

Roger Chandler
12-09-2011, 8:09 PM
Glad it arrived ...........I tracked its journey across the nation over the last 5 days.............I was just hoping the FedEx guys wouldn't drop it on their toes :D that might have hurt..........this box weighed 56 lbs.

Sorry about the crack in the Black walnut David.........it must have cracked during shipment.........the other piece I could not fit in the box cracked before I shipped these out, so it does not surprise me.......it was a bit wet.

That cherry burl felt solid to me..........it was the best piece I had..........I hope it works out well for your plans!

Enjoy............and post when you get some done!

Jake Helmboldt
12-09-2011, 9:34 PM
FYI, there is a current prohibition that recently went into effect here in central VA on transporting walnut due to thousand canker disease. Apparently it isn't statewide (from what I can tell), but it just became a permanent ban here in Henrico and Chesterfield here in central VA. Sorry to be a wet rag, but wanted to get the word out, both for legal implications and to prevent possible disease spread.

David E Keller
12-09-2011, 9:45 PM
Good stuff! If your not turned pear, I think you're gonna enjoy that... One of my favorite turning woods and one of the few that grows around here. Enjoy! Good on Roger for sharing... He was nice enough to send me some ambrosia maple a while back!

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 9:47 PM
Very generous Roger and David should have a day or so of enjoyment with that stash.

Roger Chandler
12-09-2011, 9:50 PM
Very generous Roger and David should have a day or so of enjoyment with that stash.

Bernie............you know David.........he was just in a rut with all that rosewood and western wood............a guy can only take so much of that stuff! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Roger Chandler
12-09-2011, 9:54 PM
Jake,

That particular walnut tree was cut about 3 years ago............in the mountains .........I don't think it would have any issues......except it was a bit wet..........I have to store most of my wood outside.........not that cherry burl or pear!

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats David!! Nothing like some new wood to get the creativity flowing! Have fun - I look forward to see what you create out of it!!

Good on you Roger - your generous gift brought a smile to many!

Baxter Smith
12-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Congrats on the wood David. It may not be dry or exotic, but I always find any new and different wood, fascinating to turn.

Roger Chandler
12-10-2011, 7:00 AM
Congrats on the wood David. It may not be dry or exotic, but I always find any new and different wood, fascinating to turn.

The cherry burl, the Bradford pear, the ambrosia maple, and catalpa were fairly dry..........the black walnut and mulberry were a bit wet from being outside.

David DeCristoforo
12-10-2011, 11:47 AM
That piece of pear is not going to sit idle for very long! Nor is the cherry burl.

Roger Chandler
12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
That piece of pear is not going to sit idle for very long! Nor is the cherry burl.

Go for it DD! Pear makes some pretty stuff........that piece is dry enough it has become a little hard.........maybe not for a sharp Glaser Hi-tech gouge! :D