PDA

View Full Version : Lasering hot foil stamping dies

Abdul Baseer Hai
03-08-2005, 5:37 PM
Hello All

I am looking for the special material from which you laser hot foil stamping dies.
I read somewhere on this forum that this new material is really good. Would appreciate detailed help on how and where to get this material and the process involved in making the dies. If anyone has done this, would appreciate their opinion on the quality of the die.
If I can make and deliver good quality dies, I have a potentially big recurring order from a friends printing company. Right now they are using magnesium dies.

Thanks
Baseer

Jerry Allen
03-09-2005, 9:15 AM
I don't know much about this but perhaps this will help:
http://www.engraverswarehouse.com/info_03.htm

Matty McQuilkin
03-09-2005, 3:26 PM
I have a hot foil press that uses magnesium dies. I thought that I would make my own on our laser, out of the Delrin product. Although we can achieve great detail with the laser. The Delrin brakes down after a few stampings . In my opinion not a good choice for hot foil stamping

Aaron Koehl
03-09-2005, 3:37 PM
I've wondered about the Delrin dies for some time now--good to know that it breaks down. With that, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to laser a cast from which stronger dies can be made.

Thoughts anyone?

Michael McDuffie
03-09-2005, 5:24 PM
Laserbits sells hot stamp die material in 6 by 6 squares. High temp rubber with an aluminum backing. I haven't tried it yet but have used the low odor rubber stamp sheets and altho it says low odor, it still stinks. Makes great stamps though.
The aluminum backing can be cut on a saw with a carbide blade, I have cut aluminum angle and bar stock on both my table saw and radial arm saw. The chips are wicked sharp so careful cleanup is advised.

http://www.laserbits.com/

Click stamp products in left column then hot stamp die.

I would think that delrin and most other plastics would deform after a few impressions.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Aaron Koehl
03-09-2005, 5:27 PM
Definitely tried the "low odor" rubber stamp material. Very messy (dusty) and smelly, but yes, it does make great rubber stamps!

Michael McDuffie
03-09-2005, 5:31 PM
Definitely tried the "low odor" rubber stamp material. Very messy (dusty) and smelly, but yes, it does make great rubber stamps!

Ditto on the dusty, be sure to use air assist and I've found a quick scrub with 409 and a tooth brush cleans the gunk out of the letters.

I've also added clipart to address stamps with good results. Customers really like personalized goodies!

Michael

Rodne Gold
03-09-2005, 11:33 PM
I use the silicon material for hot foiling dies , works very well but we buy bigger sheets than laserbits supply.
http://www.unitedsilicone.com make a huge range.
You engrave it the same as you would do a rubber stamp but use more power to get a deeper engraving. You can achieve incredible detail on it and there is a huge market for quick turnaround dies. You can charge a LOT more than you will get for a rubber stamp. It wont last as long as conventional brass/steel/mag dies but is used for a specific purpose and that is to foil onto stuff that has a less than smooth or flat surface (like hangers , cosmetic packs , etc - stuff with grained finishes etc)
Its used for other foiling apps as well , like tipping (when there is a raised edge around an item and you want the edge to have a foiled look)

Abdul Baseer Hai
03-11-2005, 10:48 AM
All

Thanks for the massive input. I have finally ordered this new stuff from Laserbits. Will let you know when it arrives. Meanwhile, will appreciate detailed instructions on how to operate the stamp mode in the explorer print driver (Rodney). How do I adjust the shoulder pitch and power levels?. What settings are to be set in the pen?
Baseer