PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck system questions

Quinn McCarthy
12-09-2011, 4:03 PM
I am getting the oneway vacuum chuck system. I was wondering if anybody has put a vacuum filter on their setups to keep debris from getting to the pump? Between the vacuum adapter and the gauge. I have one one my vacuum chucking system. Does anybody use a foot activated vacuum swith to turn the vacuum on at the vacuum chuck?

I am using a venturi style pump for the system.

Thanks

Quinn

Alan Trout
12-09-2011, 4:21 PM
Quinn,

Here is a pic of my system that I just put together. The filter I used is a air filter that I modified to work with vacuum. I think I bought this filter from harbor freight but I have had it for a while so I am not sure. It seems to work very well.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 4:49 PM
Quinn - I have an air filter between the adapter and the pump and also between the bleeder value and the system. You are right in your thinking - you don't want any debris to get to the pump!

Mike Cruz
12-09-2011, 7:58 PM
You can get a fuel filter from Walmat that will work great. And it is under $5.

James Combs
12-09-2011, 9:11 PM
I am using an automotive cartridge type oil filter for mine. Been hooked up now for several months, seems to work fine. I have mine inline at the main suction port on my pump so that it filters anything coming into the pump, whether it is from the chuck or from the bypass valve. You can check it out here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162882-My-New-Vacuum-Chuck&highlight=) if you like. The filter is detailed in post #5.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 9:19 PM
I have and use a fuel filter on mine. You are right to put a filter in line.

Alan Zenreich
12-10-2011, 3:32 PM
This is the way mine is filtered. I got the larger unit as part of a kit from JtTurningTools.com.

http://zenreich.com/ZenWeb/shop/images/vacuum_chuck/vac_pump.jpg

Quinn McCarthy
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the help guys I really appreciaate it. A lot of great filter ideas. I can surely go from here when the chuck arives.

Quinn

John Giem
02-01-2012, 10:06 PM
I am getting the oneway vacuum chuck system. I was wondering if anybody has put a vacuum filter on their setups to keep debris from getting to the pump? Between the vacuum adapter and the gauge. I have one one my vacuum chucking system. Does anybody use a foot activated vacuum swith to turn the vacuum on at the vacuum chuck?

I am using a venturi style pump for the system.

Thanks

Quinn

A couple of thoughts: Venturi style vacuum genrators (not a pump) consume a lot of air. How big is your air compressor and how long will it maintain enough air to hold your turning on the chuck? Venturi genrators are typically very noisy, do you have an exhaust muffler yet? I'm not sure about venturi generators but regular vacuum pumps need the filter right before the pump input. It is about the only thing, besides your lungs, that would be damaged by dust. I don't understand why you would want a foot operated vacuum switch or control. I usually turn my pump on and leave it running until I am finished. John Giem