PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat - The "MONSTER" has landed

steven carter
12-09-2011, 2:18 PM
This was waiting for me from the USPS when I arrived home yesterday. I've read for a long time about the quality of workmanship on the MONSTER system, but seeing it up close is very impressive. "Fits like a glove" should be their slogan, as the tolerances on this thing are amazing. Now another learning curve begins, one that I've been looking forward to. I've completed a few HF's by hand while waiting for the tool that I need to get photographed and posted, and will try to get this done soon. Here are some pics (in a very anti-Keeton like shop) to prove that is has really happened.

Tony De Masi
12-09-2011, 2:25 PM
Very nice Steven. I've seen it first hand and know what you mean about it's quality. I hope you enjoy and use it often.

Allan Ferguson
12-09-2011, 2:41 PM
Yes, the stork has been busy doing deliveries of Monsters. I also got mine yesterday. Hollowed out an Aspen piece that was awaiting it on the lathe. Green turned another HF of Box Elder this morning. Impressive fit and finish on the Monster. There are a bunch of people in the same boat. don't rock the Monster. Enjoy.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 2:49 PM
Congrats to both of you for getting your Monster systems! You will love using them!

Steve - one thing that I do different is I have the base rotated so that it is on the other side of the bed. Gives me more room and also allows for access into the shoulder areas of forms.

Have fun!

Jim Burr
12-09-2011, 3:07 PM
Congrats you two!! To echo Steve, rotation of the base really helps hit the corners and shoulder. I also have a "hook" cutter from Randy that is amazing for reaching those tough places. You're going to have fun now!

Roger Chandler
12-09-2011, 3:15 PM
Wooohoooo! Congratulations Steve, and Allen also! Now the fun begins!

Prashun Patel
12-09-2011, 3:17 PM
Welcome to the club.
One bit of (unsolicited) advice that helped me get smoother with it: practice on open bowls first. For me there was a difference in touch between this and a gouge. FWIW.

David E Keller
12-09-2011, 5:50 PM
Congrats! I love mine!

Rich Aldrich
12-09-2011, 6:58 PM
Congrats. I am trying to save for one.

Jim Underwood
12-09-2011, 7:03 PM
What's wrong with that shop? We have the same lathe, same tools, the same stud walls...

The only thing wrong with those pictures is that the monster is not in my shop... :D

Have fun, and be sure to send us more pix of the thing making sawdust and cool turnings...

Mike Cruz
12-09-2011, 7:44 PM
Oh, how I hate seeing threads like this. I want to tune what skills I have before diving into HFs, but you've got me itchin'...

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2011, 7:55 PM
Congrats on your new Monster. I only have a homemade clone, but you're going to love using it.

John Keeton
12-09-2011, 8:39 PM
No more bowls for Carter!!! The HF bug has bitten him. Steve, you are going to love the Monster - sure changes the way one looks at turning.

Roland Martin
12-09-2011, 9:44 PM
Congrats to you both, it's even the right color!! Another week or so, I ought to be in the same boat. SMC is sure keeping Randy busy.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 9:45 PM
Congrats Steve and Allan. You are going to love it.

Roger Chandler
12-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh, how I hate seeing threads like this. I want to tune what skills I have before diving into HFs, but you've got me itchin'...

Mike...........maybe you just need to scratch that itch!!! :D:D;) Then Tony can borrow it about 90% of the time! ;)

Jamie Donaldson
12-09-2011, 10:49 PM
You might as well order the 5/8"~3/4" step-up adapter that Randy makes for the Monster. It allows using many other larger diameter hollowing bars like the John Jordan set that I use often, and the extra shaft size allows turning deeper forms without taxing the tools and causing chatter.

Marc Himes
12-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Congratulations to all of you . I have seen the system and it is really high quality.

Have fun.

Marc

Baxter Smith
12-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Congrats on the new tool!

Mike Cruz
12-10-2011, 12:07 AM
I was hoping for the other way around!!!!!!!!!!!