PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for club demo's

Roger Turnbough
12-09-2011, 1:49 PM
The title pretty much says it all. We have done all the usual suspects recently. We need something new and fresh. Y'all got any ideas?

Roger

Thom Sturgill
12-09-2011, 1:57 PM
Well you didn't say what the usual suspects are so - bottom hollowing cutting out and replacing the bottom of a long necked HF.
Multi-axis turning like some of the boxes shown recently - only need a little geometry layout and nerves.

Marty Eargle
12-09-2011, 2:25 PM
Kind of difficult to say without knowing more about your body of work.

I say the best bet is to teach what you know. Demos on the fundamentals of form, finishing, and presentation can be just is important as a demo on a specific kind of piece. If your club members do a lot of hollow forms, there are a lot of people that don't know about the golden ratio and how it can enhance the form of a piece.

Richard Allen
12-09-2011, 2:34 PM
Bowls

Bowl shapes

Rim design

Foot design

End grain bowls

Boxes

Basic box

Fitting a lid

Multi Species boxes

Side grain boxes (lidded bowls)

Finials or handles

Threading

Hollow Forms

End grain hollow forms

Southwest hollow forms

Side Grain hollow forms

Thin walled hollow forms

Beaded hollow forms

Rim design

Foot design

Ellsworth shaped hollow forms

River rock shaped hollow forms

Platters

Shallow platters

Deep platters

Rim design

Rim - body interface design

Foot design

Segmented work

Hollow forms

Open segmented

Segmented bowls

Multi species bowls

Stave work

Multi axis work

Spindles

Boxes

Bowls

Mounting techniques

Ornamental work

Using a rose engine lathe

Indexing

Ornamental Turning Device

Sorby OTD

Crafts

Pens

Bottle stoppers

Small bowls

Boxes

Spindles

Chair legs

Table legs

Stretchers

Candle sticks

Equipment

Lathes

Chucks

Gouges

Tool steel

Scrapers

Hollowing tools

Making tools

Jigs

Photography

Cameras

Photo booths

Taking pictures of shiny surfaces

Improvements in pictures

Marketing

Craft shows

Displaying your work

Pricing your work

Working with Galleries

Producing gallery level work

Other disciplines

Wood burning

Coloring

Metal leafing

Carving

Piercing

Sand Blasting

Wood

Domestic woods

Latin American woods

South American woods

African Woods

European Woods

Asian woods

Southeast Asia woods

Australian wood

Symposiums

The month before and the week after the national symposium

The week before and the week after a symposium other than the national AAW symposium

Gifts

What to make for gifts

Birthdays

Wedding

Christmas

For another turner

For wood giver (someone who has given you some wood)

Sanding

Hand sanding

Sandpaper brands

Inertial sanders

Power sanding

Special sanding circumstances

Finishing

Oil finish

Film finish

Lacquer

Varnish

Epoxy

Buffing

Wally Dickerman
12-09-2011, 2:42 PM
A demo on tool sharpening is always popular. I've done it a couple of times at our club. There is nothing more important in woodturning than knowing how to sharpen tools.

I brought in my grinder, My 1 inch belt sander with a fresh blue zircon belt, and a board to draw pictures. I use the belt sander with a 60 grit belt for reshaping tools. Cuts much faster than a coarse grinder and it runs cool. Blue zircon will outlast al. oxide belts by at least 10 times.

I asked members to bring in a tool to be sharpened or reshaped.

Bill White
12-09-2011, 2:42 PM
Sharpening?
Well darn! He beat me to it.
Bill

Jim Underwood
12-09-2011, 5:01 PM
I always thought a demonstration on methods of workholding might be interesting. That could run all the way through traditional methods like drive centers and face plates, to glue chucks and jam chucks, on to home made chucks (like the longworth and donut) to scroll chucks and vacuum chucks, not to mention steadys, like string steadys, board steadys and wheeled steadys...

bob edwards
12-09-2011, 5:26 PM
I always find an evening spent on the basics is appreciated by all. Some of us have bee turning for so long we forget to explain why we do a certain thing. Why do I anchor the tool and plant my feet that way. Why do I grind a certain angle on my bowl gouge. Why do I always start a project between centers. I could go on and on but you get the idea. This not only dose this bring out different opinions and makes for lively discussions.

Josh Bowman
12-10-2011, 7:14 AM
Nick Cook, came to ours and turned a lamp, it's fairly big, but didn't take long, he also showed how to use scraps to turn coffee scoops, and a "magic" salt shaker. If showed a lot of basics as well as some work holding stuff. Really enjoyed it.

Roger Turnbough
12-10-2011, 8:55 AM
Thanks guys for all the great ideas. Its usually a last minute scramble to come up with a topic for the meeting. I Really appreciate the advise.

Roger

Curt Fuller
12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
If you're able to operate a chainsaw in your demo area then a demonstration on harvesting your own wood and preparing blanks is usually pretty helpful. Lot's of beginners seem to be unaware of just how much beautiful wood is at their fingertips if they learn what parts of a tree hold the good stuff.

Scott Hackler
12-10-2011, 11:23 AM
From log to bowl would be a good demo and a demo on shapes and profiles (golden mean ratio).

Thomas Canfield
12-10-2011, 9:21 PM
I have done a demo a couple of times called "Bowl Turning for Beginners, by a Beginner". I explained a couple of different mountings and my preference of worm screw in chuck to start turning the outside and tenon on bottom, how to then reverse and tun the inside using a green blank. I encourage using green wood for beginners since it is easier to turn, less dust, and the long streaming shavings really get one hooked. I then take a dried green turning that has gone oval and show how to true up the tenon and start the outside using the expanded jaws of chuck as jam and live center. The bowl is then reversed and outside finished and inside turned. The bowl is then revered again and using a jam with rubber shelf liner pad and live center turn off the majority of the tenon for smooth or recessed bottom and then cut off nub for sanding. All the steps can be expanded, but it is a simple demo to try to encourage some of the newer turners to take a chance and turn a bowl.

I cannot emphasize enough the using green wood for beginners, and turning rough bowls allows for learning tool techniques that can be further refined when going to dry and finished products, rather than try for the art show product on the first try.