PDA

View Full Version : Linden Bowl

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2011, 1:28 PM
Another experiment with dyes. The Linden was pretty bland looking so I thought I try some green Transtint on it. After the dye dried, I sprayed 8 coats of EM6000 gloss on it. I don't normally spray that many coats but the end-grain just kept sucking up the finish. The bowl is 6-5/8" dia by 2-1/2" high. Your comments are always welcome.

Jim Burr
12-09-2011, 1:32 PM
Nice shape...good strong utility bowl. The dye job worked very well! Not a big fan of high gloss, but that's just me.

steven carter
12-09-2011, 2:21 PM
Well it is certainly not bland now! Nice bowl, I don't usually like this glossy a finish on a bowl, but with the color it works well on this one.

David E Keller
12-09-2011, 3:07 PM
Very nice! Love the coloring and the form! I even like the foot which is quite a stretch for me(I've got foot issues!).

Quinn McCarthy
12-09-2011, 3:53 PM
I really like how you spruced up that boring basswood.

great looking bowl.

Q

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 4:52 PM
Nice color, form and a great finish! About the only thing I would like to see you change is the size of your photos. You can go up to 1024 pixels with a max file size of 107 KB.

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2011, 8:07 PM
Nice color, form and a great finish! About the only thing I would like to see you change is the size of your photos. You can go up to 1024 pixels with a max file size of 107 KB.

How do I go about changing the size of my photos and what does it do as far as viewing them? Is that in a photo editing program issue or a setting on the camera when taking the picture? I have a lot to learn about photography. Thanks for any help.

John Keeton
12-09-2011, 8:43 PM
Nice work, again, Rob!

Download FastStone (free) and use it to process your pics before uploading. You can resize them to 1024x?? and then when you save the pic, click options and choose the compression that will give you 107KB. The larger image will appear much more detailed on the monitor.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 9:28 PM
Rob that is a nice bowl and I do like that color. I do like the simple form.

Rob Cunningham
12-11-2011, 1:19 PM
Nice work, again, Rob!

Download FastStone (free) and use it to process your pics before uploading. You can resize them to 1024x?? and then when you save the pic, click options and choose the compression that will give you 107KB. The larger image will appear much more detailed on the monitor.

Thanks John. I have been using FastStone to sharpen up the pics a little. I'll look into resizing them.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2011, 1:43 PM
Rob - most digital cameras allow you to set how big of a file size photo you take. That initially determines the size of the photo you upload to your computer. Once you have uploaded your photo - go to FastStone - double click the image to make it full screen - then on the far left menu - click on Quick Resize. You have lots of options at that point - but click on the 1024 x 768 size. Now that your photo has been resized to allow for the max pixels allowed on this site... you need to save it so that the file size is 107 KB or less. To do that - either click on save in the far left menu or 'control S' to go to the save menu. In the bottom right corner is a button called options.. click on it. In the new window - you will find a slider that as you move it to the left - for percentage of compression - you will see that the file size shrinks. Again - you just need to have it under 107 KB so don't go much further than that at this point or you start to lose details. Click OK when you have the file size you want - then click save and you are done.

Hope that helps.

Rob Cunningham
12-11-2011, 6:18 PM
Rob - most digital cameras allow you to set how big of a file size photo you take. That initially determines the size of the photo you upload to your computer. Once you have uploaded your photo - go to FastStone - double click the image to make it full screen - then on the far left menu - click on Quick Resize. You have lots of options at that point - but click on the 1024 x 768 size. Now that your photo has been resized to allow for the max pixels allowed on this site... you need to save it so that the file size is 107 KB or less. To do that - either click on save in the far left menu or 'control S' to go to the save menu. In the bottom right corner is a button called options.. click on it. In the new window - you will find a slider that as you move it to the left - for percentage of compression - you will see that the file size shrinks. Again - you just need to have it under 107 KB so don't go much further than that at this point or you start to lose details. Click OK when you have the file size you want - then click save and you are done.

Hope that helps.

Steve,
Thanks for the detailed instructions.