PDA

View Full Version : Ways to clean the fuzz out of small (1/4, 5/16, 3/8) router plunge holes?

Nick Sorenson
12-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I've noticed that as I drill plunged holes with router bits I end up with sort of a fuzzy buttom on the cut. Is there a good way to cut or sand this fuzz off (i.e. smooth the bottom of the hole)?

The catch there is that I don't want to distort or deform the original size much. In other words, I'd like to keep the hole circular and within a few thousandths of the original size.

Jerome Hanby
12-09-2011, 1:30 PM
If thee are through holes, I'd use a backer on the bottom (maybe that would be a bottomer <g>)

Nick Sorenson
12-09-2011, 1:53 PM
Sorry about that, I wasn't clear at all on that! lol. These are plunged but not through holes.

john bateman
12-09-2011, 5:54 PM
Are you using plunge cutting bits? The ones I've used leave a very smooth bottom, but then I don't just make just straight bored holes...I move the router laterally after plunging to create rabbets or mortises.

pat warner
12-09-2011, 5:56 PM
Have studied the router & its uses x 30+ years. You're the first to ask such a question.
Routers are lousy drilling machines but they will drill. A solid carbide (new) 2 flute spiral should produce a flat bottomed hole.
Powerful chip collection whilst plunging will help, as you are compressing the chip into the bottom as you plunge, producing said abrasion.
Drills are better at drilling than routers.

glenn bradley
12-09-2011, 8:02 PM
Dull or inappropriate geometry bit = problems. Nice sharp upcut spiral = problem solved. I agree with Pat (not that he needs my agreement on anything :)), routers aren't drills but, for shelf pin holes or plunged mortise work, I prefer them. Type of wood maybe?

Nick Sorenson
12-09-2011, 8:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I should try to get a picture when I get a minute. I'm using an up cut spirals in the router by the way.

Jim Rimmer
12-12-2011, 2:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I should try to get a picture when I get a minute. I'm using an up cut spirals in the router by the way.

I am currently working on a project that has 32 mortises 1/2" and I used a plunge router with solid carbide spiral upcut bit and didn't have a fuzz problem.