PDA

View Full Version : A quick question on WOP

Bill Hensley
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I haven't used WOP yet and the discussion that Scott initiated was very helpful but one question remains.

Does it gel over or thicken up once opened and left to sit on the shelf for a while?

Russell Neyman
12-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes and no. Most finishes have an inert gas placed at the top of the container that keeps it from curing/skimming until the can is opened for the first time. After that, it will tend to skim over over time, but you probably have a good 9-12 months before it will seriously thicken. It's a good idea to stir the container (some finishes shouldn't be shaken because it entraps air bubbles) and pour a bit into a separate container so that you can check consistency, thinning as necessary.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Bill Hensley
12-09-2011, 1:02 PM
Good info, it helps. Thanks

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 5:03 PM
Bill - I have been using the Minwax WOP for a number of years now and really like it. I do find that once the can gets to about 1/3 left it has thickened enough that the color is noticeably yellow and it takes a lot longer to dry. I have mixed in a little mineral spirits to help it flow into the wood but from that point on it always takes longer to dry. Long drying times = dust and stuff sticking to the finish.

So, once the can gets to about the 1/3 mark - I just go buy another can.

Bill Hensley
12-09-2011, 5:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback Steve. I went out and got a can this afternoon.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-09-2011, 6:34 PM
I put WOP in a small resealable glue bottle. After the initial soaking of the bowls, which does use up lots of WOP, a little is all that is needed to build up the coats. That way I minimize the opening and closing of the original can. And, as Master Steve says, when it does start to get darker, add MS.

Anyone use Bloxygen? A gas product (probably pure nitrogen) that you spray into the can to displace the oxygen. That supposedly keeps finished from hardening. It's an interesting theory.