PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a book on making board games

Roger Feeley
12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Some years ago, I bought a book that was devoted completely to the making of board games (skittles, chinese checkers and such). I know it's around here somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a copy? Could I please have the title, author and ISBN number?

I've seen plenty of books on toys and game but this one was all board games.

thanks,
Roger

Jerome Hanby
12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Making as in inventing a game or making as in building a game board (like Parcheesi or Aggravation)?

Roger Feeley
12-09-2011, 5:36 PM
Just making traditional board games like Parchesi, checkers (ok that's one is obvious), knock hockey, and so on. I have no desire to invent a new game.

Rich Switzer
12-09-2011, 8:17 PM
I'm not sure if this is it but :

Making Board, Peg & Dice Games by Jennie Loader and Jeff Loader (1993, Paperback)
Format: Paperback
ISBN-10: 0946819408
ISBN-13: 9780946819409
Publisher: Sterling Pub Co, Inc.
Language: English

half.com has it for just a few bucks.

Roger Feeley
12-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Just ordered a copy. I don't know if this is THE book but it sounds good. Many thanks.

If anyone knows of another book, I would still like to hear about it.

Roger

John T Barker
12-10-2011, 1:51 PM
I'm taking the easy way out. Any book selling site has search capability based on topic(s). Amazon, Alibris (one of my favorites), etc., will probably give you 100's of possible hits to that subject. I've searched them a few times for wood toys for kids and was amazed at the number.

John

Roger Feeley
12-15-2011, 8:26 PM
I got the book you suggested. It's not the one I was after but will be helpful.

Thanks,
Roger

Roger Feeley
12-15-2011, 8:33 PM
OK, you shamed me into to trying again on Alibris and I think I hit paydirt. For the life of me, I don't know what I did differently this time.

This one looks like the one I had.

Play it Again: Historic Board Games you can make and Play
Austirie Baker Provenzo
ISBN: 978-0486264103

Roger Feeley
12-25-2011, 3:31 PM
You guys aren't going to believe this. I got the book off of Alibris and went to put it with my other woodworking books. I set it down on the sewing table for a moment and noticed another book of similar size. Yep, I found the missing book the day I received the replacement. Duhhh!

I will donate the spare to the KC Woodworkers Guild. It won't go to waste.

thanks to all that replied. You were a big help.