PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Layout, Part Two

John Bailey
03-08-2005, 4:39 PM
After manh suggestions, I've reworked my new shop layout. The new layout should give me more room to work with the jointer and planer and still leave room for constructing the boats.

Any suggestions or comments?

John

Gary Whitt
03-09-2005, 8:36 AM
Ummmmmmmmmm.....

Dulcimer bench......................

Built any lately??????

Jim Dunn
03-09-2005, 9:07 AM
Is that a two piece boat? Or is the kayak for stability:)
Nice shop layout. Post pic's, as you go along, or Tyler's gonna get ya for sure.

Dave Richards
03-09-2005, 9:14 AM
No fair John. What kind of sailboat are you building?

I wish I had room in my shop to build a sailboat. After I got the first one built and launched I added more big tools. Now there's no room for a boat. :(

By the way, if you can, put in a bigger door. Once I got my boat on the trailer, I couldn't put it back in the garage, er shop.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-09-2005, 9:38 AM
Looks like a really nice layout to me! You should have room to work all the way around the boats, yet still use your tools.

Darren Ford
03-09-2005, 9:58 AM
John, you forgot the tablesaw again :)

Will the wood stove present any problems being close to the end of the boats? I don't mean hazardous, I was thinking finishing or perhaps wood movement from uneven heating.

Bill White
03-09-2005, 12:37 PM
WHAT??????? Your shop is like mine. It doesn't have a table saw either. How in the world can we ever do anything without a TS? (He He.)

Frank Pellow
03-09-2005, 7:51 PM
I liked the old layout with the boat dead centre, but now you have pushed it off to the side. :(

But, then again, its not me that has to work in the shop. :D

John Bailey
03-09-2005, 9:20 PM
Gary,

Haven't built a dulcimer in about a year now. I've posted pictures of the last two previously. Because I guide sea kayak trips in Greece during the summer, I'll probably not get the shop complete until next Winter. Then we'll start up again.

Jim,

I just put both outlines of the boats to make sure they would fit. My first project will be a Redfish Spring Run kayak because I sold all my other kayaks to build the shop. I'm a kayak instructor and guide, so I need to get a kayak first. The next project will be a Haven 12 1/2. The 12 1/2 refers to the waterline and the boat is actually 16' long. If everything works out on those two, and I haven't frustrated myself to death, I move the projects to a temporary structure to build a Paul Gartside designed 26' Cutter. Then, I go sailing!!

Darren & Bill,

For some reason a table saw just doesn't make my heart go pitter-patter. Just can't seem to put any money down on one. My 20 yr. old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw has served me well over the years. If I decide to spend money on another saw after I get a bandsaw it will probably be an older DeWalt Radial Arm Saw or the more up to date Original Radial Arm Saw. As far as the heat is concerned, the woodstove is more aesthetic that prudent. I will have another more convenient source of heat for when I'm doing epoxying or finishing.

Frank,

I thought about that, but I've notice some others who have put their jointer and planer back to back. This will allow me to run longer boards without moving the machine as much, and cut steps I have to take when combining jointing and planing. Anyway, because I plan on mobile bases, I'll be able to move them if I don't like the set-up.

John

Dave Richards
03-10-2005, 6:22 AM
John, a Haven 12 1/2? Cool! That boat is on my list for someday when I have the space. I hope you'll be able to post pictures of your shop showing your Haven as she develops.

BTW, have you seen the Dark Harbor 15 1/5 in WB? Oh boy! :cool:

John Bailey
03-10-2005, 2:56 PM
Dave,

Yes, I've seen the Dark Harbor 15 1/2 and, unlike table saws, the Dark Harbor makes my heart go pitter-patter. It's a bit too big for my shop. However, after I get back from a couple of years of sailing, I'll probably need a larger day sailer than the Haven, so we'll have to put the Dark Harbor on the list of possibilities. As far as the Haven construction and pictures of such, that's at least a year away. However, when it starts, pictures will be here.

John

Dave Richards
03-10-2005, 3:26 PM
I'll be looking forward to your pictures. I'm afraid even the 12 1/2 is too big for my present shop. Maybe not if I can move out some tools.

For those who don't know but are interested, the Haven 12 1/2 is Joel White's centerboard version of the Dark harbor 12.

Here's a few pictures I found of a Dark Harbor 15.
http://www.chipboat.com/dh181.jpg
http://www.chipboat.com/dh183.jpg
http://www.chipboat.com/dh10_1.jpg
Lots of beautious wood. Yummy! :D

Steve Inniss
03-10-2005, 5:42 PM
Dave, Dave, Dave - that Dark Harbor 15 -nnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiccccccceeeeeeeee!

-Steve

John Bailey
03-10-2005, 7:08 PM
No fair John. What kind of sailboat are you building?

I wish I had room in my shop to build a sailboat. After I got the first one built and launched I added more big tools. Now there's no room for a boat. :(

By the way, if you can, put in a bigger door. Once I got my boat on the trailer, I couldn't put it back in the garage, er shop.
Dave,

What kind of boat did you build, and, more importantly, do you have any pictures?

John

Dave Richards
03-11-2005, 9:29 AM
John, my boat is nothing as elegant as a 12 1/2. Just a little dory-hulled gaff rigged sloop called a Weekender. 16' LOD and about 20' LOA. Good for a first boat and she's fun to sail. Definitely a work boat finish, though. Construction is not really traditional nor is it S & G. Built strong like a brick outhouse but full up she only weighs about #650 (plan weight says #550)

Here she is on her maiden voyage with a bone in her teeth.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/fb43f2e7_jpg_orig.jpg
Forgive the set of her jib. My bride had just lost her grip on the sheet when the picture was taken.

This was right before we sailed out for the first time. The wind must have been 20kts square off the stbd side. Note the docklines. The dock monkeys were holding on tight. When we got the sails hoisted, they let go and we shot forward like we'd been fired from a cannon. Had to sail between boats on their moorings which was a bit nerve wracking considering I'd never sailed her before that. A smart guy would have left her on the trailer that day, splashed a bit of lake water on her bow and gone home. Not me. :D
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/sub10a.jpg

John Bailey
03-11-2005, 1:20 PM
Dave,

Good looking boat. I looked at that model 6 yrs. ago when I decided to learn to sail. I decided to buy an old Alberg 30 instead. Now I want to learn carvel planking, thus the Haven. Did you have any problems with the gaff rig. I've never sailed one.

John

Dave Richards
03-11-2005, 3:54 PM
Thanks John.

There's not much to sailing a gaff rigged boat compared to a Marconi rig. Two halyards to haul on when raising the main and you want to try to keep the gaff level until the luff is taut. Then you haul on the peak halyard to finish up. If you want to get fussy with it, you can adjust the peak halyard tension on different points of sail. I don't generally bother. I'm never racing or anything anyway.

They say that you can't point as high with a gaff main as you can with a Marconi main but I don't have too much trouble. One benefit of the gaff sail is that for a given sail area, the center of effort (CE) is lower. If you think of the wind as pushing the boat with a stick, the end of the stick would fall on the CE. With a lower CE, the boat doesn't heel as much for the same force applied by the stick.

One drawback though is in light air. Generally in light air it is good to have the sails up higher above the water to catch what little wind there is. This is especially true on inland waters where you have trees and landforms blocking wind. Of course you could set a topsail in times like that--if you had a topsail, that is.

The Alden 30 sounds like fun.