PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic light displays

Kate Raap
03-08-2005, 2:35 PM
We've been creating these light displays for quite some time now. Though they don't sell very well around this area, but then again if you have read my other post you'll know that pretty much noting of quality sells in this area! My dad starting creating these on his cnc router quite some time ago, and once we got the laser we started making them on there.

I like to get people's opinions on our product and see if there are any modifications I can make to make them better! So give my anything you got!

Keith Outten
03-08-2005, 5:22 PM
Kate,

I've seen these on the Net. Is there an LED string in the base that lights up the acrylic? Would you be willing to share your source for lights? I would love to try a couple of these to see how well they work. I think the best market for lighted displays is in the awards area.

Thomas Hempleman
03-09-2005, 1:08 AM
Kate...

I have done a number of generic lighted acrylics and taken them to craft shows. They usually flop for some reason. Lots of people look at them and think they're neat but they don't buy them, even at $25 to $30. I gave up on them. However, I have sold a few custom ordered ones with engraved logos, names, etc. And people will not even flinch at spending $75 to $125 for them if they are personalized.

Tom Hempleman
Wildwood Hill Laser Graphics

Jerry Allen
03-09-2005, 9:21 AM
I think the concept is interesting and attractive, but the average person probably wouldn't be thrilled by the fire engine. I think Thomas' reply holds the key in that the right design sold to the right customer will work for you.
Maybe just make a model that is more business oriented, like a fancy logo, for your shows and net site if you have one.

Kate Raap
03-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh this is just one of the many versions we sell. This was the latest one and I had to post it on the internet for a group of firemen to look at anyways so I used this picture. We have about 25 different designs of all types of stuff. Ours actually sell $125 for the small ones and $175 for the large ones. Sometimes we get people to buy them around here but not very often. We have done a number of business ones for people, typically the tool and die industry and people like those. We don't do anything but custom stuff in our shop here though.
As for the setup for them, my dad uses a corian base, it's scraps from signs that he's made. We put those together and then put 2 strings of LED's in them, a lot of the ones we do our multi colored, such as this one I posted here, that was a custom made one that someone requested. I don't know where my dad gets them from off the top of my head, but when I find out I can let you know. I seem to be the only one who has decided to work today!
The display here is entitled: "the lass with her *** in the glass". Sorry if I offend anyone. It's become our most popular light up display though, bars love it, and so do people for their own private bars. Funny how the world thinks sometimes.

Jerry Allen
03-10-2005, 8:39 AM
Definitely more curb appeal!
Maybe the firemen would like to trade theirs in.

Mark Dickens
03-12-2005, 9:40 PM
Kate,

I've seen these on the Net. Is there an LED string in the base that lights up the acrylic? Would you be willing to share your source for lights? I would love to try a couple of these to see how well they work. I think the best market for lighted displays is in the awards area.
Keith,

If you are looking for a full line of very nice lighted bases, I suggest you contact Jim Dowler at Scilux Artistic Lighting. His web site is www.scilux.com. The bases come in rosewood and black piano finish, as well as a matte mahogany finish. He has lots of different designs and sizes.

Keith Outten
03-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks Mark