PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt GA

Dave Norris
12-09-2011, 7:51 AM
Hi Everyone,
Is there any way to tell if a Dewalt GA has a long arm? I need 24" of cross cut, and I'm trying to talk a person through selling theirs, and I can't completely be sure the saw has the long arm. They said the motor has 30" of travel, which seems right, but just want to be sure before I buy it sight unseen.

Any help would be appreciated!

Myk Rian
12-09-2011, 7:54 AM
Ask for a picture with a yardstick next to the arm.

david brum
12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Lots of good info here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3523. I don't know, 517lbs seems kind of light weight. Maybe you should look for something heavier duty ;)

Dave Norris
12-11-2011, 8:23 AM
Thanks Guys. I missed that pub somehow. I had checked there previously. I think it should be the long arm, but this saw predates that particular publication.

As far as 517#, I was actually looking at the 800 pounders before finding this one. Not to start the usual RAS debate, but these older Dewalts are a HUGE bargain. 517#s of spot on accurate muscle. This saw will be my third. Everyone talks about safety with them, but in 7 years I've had 4 mishaps with the table saw, and even a couple with a miter saw. Had RAS's for the past 4 years, and have had 0 mishaps. Now have a dedicated rip blade in the table saw, and so it cuts better than ever.

Thanks for the help!

david brum
12-11-2011, 8:40 AM
Not to start the usual RAS debate, but these older Dewalts are a HUGE bargain.

I agree completely. I have a smaller, vintage Dewalt RAS and haven't used the table saw for cross cutting since I got it. Straight, super clean cuts every time.

Dave Norris
12-11-2011, 9:15 AM
Yep. I think the big issue is no one takes the time to set it up right. The ones I have now were bought from people who had them all messed up. Each one took about 8 hours to rehab, including making a new table and then a sacrificial cutting surfact. My GWI is 100% accurate in any position.

I did do some more research, and I think the one I bought has the medium arm which will cross cut 24 in, so I should be good. I actually found it mislabeled at an auction site, with only a few hours left to go, so I didn't have time to get extra pics etc. The person who was selling didn't know anything them, but said the saw has 30" of travel, which I think would be correct. As long as they measured correctly, it should be good, and I think from the pics I saw, there isn't much chance it was a short arm.

I can't wait. Merry Christmas to me!

david brum
12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Be sure to post pictures when you get it set up!

Neil Brooks
12-11-2011, 1:30 PM
Ditto what David Brum said: pics, or ... it never happened ;)

Homer Faucett
12-12-2011, 7:10 PM
I have two DeWalt GE 16" 5hp single phase monsters. Pound for pound, there is no better value for crosscutting precision. You only pay for it when you move it--once it's set up, it's great!

If you want a "home" version, the GWI, is nice. The GA's are a good in-between model. I just like the bigger saws, as I find that you can often find a 14" or 15" blade for cheaper than the equivalent 12" blade.

Dave Norris
12-12-2011, 9:34 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for checking in. I actually have a GWI and it is way awesome. All the measurements are in, and the new "Big Wally" is definitely a 24 inch crosscut. Problem now is 3 phase motor. Checked with a prominent radial arm saw company, and they don't have any single phase motors to swap. Does anyone have any experience with rotary phase converters? In particular with how closely matched they need to be? Some say they are "CNC" matched to 1%, but are in the $600 range, and found a couple that are CNC matched, but about 5% for $400. For a RAS, how close would you really need?

Cary Falk
12-13-2011, 4:31 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for checking in. I actually have a GWI and it is way awesome. All the measurements are in, and the new "Big Wally" is definitely a 24 inch crosscut. Problem now is 3 phase motor. Checked with a prominent radial arm saw company, and they don't have any single phase motors to swap. Does anyone have any experience with rotary phase converters? In particular with how closely matched they need to be? Some say they are "CNC" matched to 1%, but are in the $600 range, and found a couple that are CNC matched, but about 5% for $400. For a RAS, how close would you really need?

I think I missed the HP rating somewhere but I would think a VFD from Factorymation would be way cheaper and easier than a RPC.