PDA

View Full Version : Delta RJ42 ?

Larry Edgerton
12-09-2011, 7:17 AM
I have been looking for a F410, but have driven a lot of miles to look at junk. This jointer is for sale fairly close to me but I am not familiar with them.

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/machinery/posts/453027.html

Has anyone actually used one, and if so what are your impressions?

Thanks, Larry

Chris Rosenberger
12-09-2011, 1:01 PM
I have not used one, but I have seen them. They are very nice jointers. Just a larger version of the Delta DJ20.
I have not heard any complaints on them. Byrd heads are also available for them.
I would have a DJ42in my shop now if I could have found one for sale when I was in the market for a 16" jointer about 3 years ago.

David Kumm
12-09-2011, 1:42 PM
They were made in Brazil I believe. Call Fred Rehak and talk to him. He is a stand up guy. I bought my Porter 16" jointer from him. A good condition Northfield would be an even better choice but condition of the tables is the big deal. In the old US jointer world it would be Oliver, Porter, Northfield, Newman. Northfield is still made. All of the above jointers would be about $20K new. Invictas are fine but won't hold value like the others. Dave

Ryan Hellmer
12-09-2011, 3:04 PM
I have an invicta planer, yes made in Brazil. Pretty good stuff, but light on the cast iron. A lot of the framing and ways will be sheet steel. They also used WEG motors (not the best reputation, but I've never had an issue). I think it would be a fine piece. I can't believe that Crescent escaped mention in the above list of fantastic American made jointers. I have a Crescent 16" with a woods 5HP dmd motor on it. BULLETPROOF. A big aircraft carrier jointer like this will really make your life better. I assume three phase doesn't phase you.

Ryan

David Kumm
12-09-2011, 3:50 PM
Ryan, Crescent, like Moak was considered a step down in those days. A small step but the bar was set so high that they are still light years ahead of most new stuff save the high end euro. The cored cast iron table on the Northfield are nice. The Porters had tables cold planed in both directions so the board slides like an air hockey table. I would take a Crescent any day and they are generally a great value. Dave

Larry Fox
12-09-2011, 4:58 PM
Looks like a nice jointer to me. You might want to make sure you can get parts for it before pulling the trigger on it. My second tablesaw is an Invicta RT40 (I think) and the things is a tank. However, it is almost impossible to get parts for.

Larry Edgerton
12-09-2011, 6:48 PM
I gave away a Porter 12" in working condition last year. Flat belt drive, so it took up too much real estate. Babbit bearing, which in themselves are fine, but the cost of switching to a modern head was way too high, so I gave it to a friend of mine. It was still in use at the old shop when I sold the shop, new building is smaller.

This will make you cry......

I went by his mill and it was setting outside in the rain! I just turned around and left or I would have said something I would regret later. I spent days and days on that machine.

Anyway, I want a levered infeed and a Byrd head, so a Porter is out.

I have been looking at Northfields and Olivers as well, but I like a levered infeed, hence the search for a F410. Though I had one last week but it was worn more than I wanted to deal with. One of the pluses for the Delta is the lever. I have a DJ 20 in the shop and I used the Porter less and less after getting the 20 tuned.

I'll look into the parts thing, but really, I have never broken a jointer.

Thanks for the perspectives, Larry

David Kumm
12-09-2011, 7:18 PM
Interesting perspective as well, Larry. I'm basically a hobby guy but prefer the big wheel to the lever. I have a DJ 20 that I like for edges because the belt drive is faster but really like the oneway indicator and the wheel on the Porter 300. First time I've ever been able to take 1/64 or 1/32 exactly and not have to bump or tweak anything. Generally not that important but the accountant in me is happy when I convert my stuff to numbers. good luck, Dave

Larry Edgerton
12-10-2011, 7:02 AM
David

I have a routine that I worked out when I get in a load of stock, usually a 1000ish feet at a time. I rough dress it, sort it to size in the closest 1/2" for width, and skip plane it before it goes in the loft. They are stacked according to width with the ends labled in a color code so I can pull just what I need down onto the shop floor without a lot of sorting. Interesting boards, or ones with bad defects are set off to one side to be dealt with later.

I run three machines at the same time, jointer with a power feed, tablesaw with a power feed, and the planer. I only want to make one pass with the jointer to get a straight side without too much waste. Doesn't always work, but I try for just one pass. This is where the lever system on the DJ 20 comes in, its fast.

I set the stock with the forklift where it can be pulled off of the pile and into the jointer to be edge jointed. I take a look at the bow and decide what I need to run it through at to get a reasonably straight edge and set the jointer with the lever, get it started, and put a piece in the planer, or a piece in the saw. I run the feeders on their slowest speed, and can keep all three machines working for the most part. The Porter was too slow to adjust so I always used the DJ.

That was in my old shop. My new shop is less than half as big so It will be a challange to set it up as efficiently. I will miss the space, but not the heating bills, taxes, etc. etc. All in due course.....

My new smaller shop means I can not have as many multiples in machinery, so one jointer will be all I have and I want another big one. The jointer is going up against the tool room wall, and the fence bracket will go into a box in the tool room wall. I am no longer in a concrete jungle, so I had to switch from a small hardwheel forklift to a 45hp New Holland tractor with forks to get around outside. I'll have to build some carts to get the lumber where I want it now as the tractor is not as manuverable.

Its all fun, problems to be dealt with are part of the game.

Need more coffee.....

Larry

David Kumm
12-10-2011, 9:18 AM
Larry, you have wood processing down to an art form. Good luck. Used jointers come up fairly often so you should be golden. The invicta will be belt drive so it will really depend on the tables. My only complaint about the DJ 20 is the tables are not completely flat and the inserts near the cutterhead droop a couple thousands. The quality control on new castings is less than perfect these days. Dave

Peter Quinn
12-10-2011, 2:13 PM
I own a DJ-20, and have used the DJ 30's. I'd skip the Invicta personally and keep searcing for the SCMI. I haven't used the 410, but I've used a handful of the 12" models, and they are just a better product than anything from Delta I have seen. I see a bunch of 410's at used places and auction sites if the freight is acceptable to your location, though its harder to go kick the tires remotely. I suppose if the price is right they all joint wood, but I can see why you are holding out on the 410.

Larry Edgerton
12-11-2011, 8:53 AM
You are right Peter. I am getting impatient and there is absolutely no reason for it. For the work I have for the next 9 months what I have is perfectly fine. I have been slowly switching tools to SCMI, not because it is the only brand out there but it has just worked out that way. I like them all, and so I need to keep my eye on the ball.

I have driven several thousand miles to look at junk, so my frusteration has been getting the better of me.

Thanks, Larry

David Kumm
12-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Larry, the high end minimax is the same jointer so look for those as well. Every once in a while an older Martin comes around, or Koelle. The used market is shifting to Euro as the baby boomers age out and are replaced by younger people who grew up with the Euro rather than the old US iron. Let us know what you find. It's fun to see big used stuff. Dave

Jeff Duncan
12-13-2011, 4:38 PM
Don't have too much to add, I looked at one years ago and almost bought it, just couldn't shoe horn those enormous tables in my shop at the time. I opted for an Italian 16" with shorter tables instead. It was a very nice machine though and I don't think you would regret it.

I also prefer the lever system. I change table height constantly and the lever makes it so quick and easy to go from a rough 1/4" hogging pass, to a 1/32" finish pass I can't imagine going back to hand wheels....YMMV,

good luck,
JeffD