PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Ignorant me - maybe? -- the journey to hand tools

Mike Kelsey
12-09-2011, 2:24 AM
Still a newbie by far, I began to bring to fruition a long time desire (like a lot of Creekers) - getting into the craft of woodworking. A lot of forum reading, asking questions. I started to "power" up the gravel floor unheated barn with wonderful power tools, jet cabinet saw, delta 18-900l drill press, Grizzly G0514X2 19" Extreme Band saw (still in crate - need to finish floor in barn first), HF dust collector. I enjoy the cutting, drilling, etc but hate the dust mask, eye protection & mainly the noise (too much like work). All along I kept glancing at this cheap hand plane I've hand for years (figured it was cheap because it didn't work very well) & for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to buy a jointer. Here as elsewhere would pop up the comment that if you get a 6" you'll want and 8", then a 12" & on.
From you guys I learned the importance of sharp tools, found a great book on sharpening, found I was fascinated by it, learned to tune up that "cheap" hand plane & as soon as I got wispy shavings from it, I found the whole process mesmerizing - hours went by just "feeling" what it was about, what it could do. I decided to invest my "Jointer budget money" in hand planes instead: LN & Woodcraft's V3 Woodriver. So the imposed rule became use power tools but at least the reference edge should be hand planed.

Then I stumbled across Chris Schwarz’s Anarchist Tool Chest. I've enjoyed his self-depreciating but wise writing style from Popular Woodworking, but the book was an aw hah! for me... The central theme of this slightly younger generation is about the "expediency in slowing down". I don't know if it was conscious or not, but what is craftsmanship if not taking the time of self discovery on how to do it "right". Time equals quality. Rebelling against "efficiency” is considered romantic & unpractical in this day & age - but how many Creekers enjoy the time- focused expectations of our consumer culture? I realized I enjoyed "working with the wood not through it" (& as many of you have said before, one can listen to the radio as a bonus, or the pleasurable sound of the tool itself for that matter).

The barn is cold in winter - outside temp practically equals inside temp, lots of layers of clothing, fingers turning almost numb, wood gets moldy, but I measured, I cut, even stupidly glued, just to practice. Grey hair but I want to learn this stuff - maybe it's in my blood? I'll find out, I guess. Well this year going into the "cold" barn became a more acute conscious awareness – a sense of reluctance mixed with the desire.

I didn't get the floor done this summer, only a few sections of wall insulated. (I'm putting a wood floor over PT wood with vapor barrier). I started on the "carriage" doors for the barn, where it is most open to the elements, but brought the frame work into the unfinished kitchen before things got too damp in the barn.

I finished putting in the wall heaters in the unfinished kitchen & bathroom - we heat exclusively with wood heat till now. I'm supposed to start on the kitchen cabinets this next year & that's when I realized why not setup a non-powered workshop in the new kitchen area and explore hand tools in the winter? My wife was all for it. I needed a quick bolt together workbench (so I could take it apart & moved to the barn when I’m ready to fill the new kitchen space with cabinet carcasses) – bought the HF 60” bench, telling myself I just need something to practice cutting dovetails, planning boards for some proto type cabinet draws, etc.

Unexpectedly I’ve got some “extra” $$ so I made a Lee Valley order list which I plan to order from soon – maybe I should post it here for feedback? I’ve already ordered a LN 16” rip panel saw & panel marking gauge. So this winter I hope to cut, cut, cut, plane, plane, plane & listen to the radio and or rain without freezing. I can continue working on the barn, evolving it in to a shop space & not be concerned about keeping it functional for wood working.

So…. tonight upon arriving home in the cold clear dark, HF “workbench” in the back of the PU, I decided to check my covered power tools in the barn to make sure rust wasn’t developing. (BTW clear vinyl showers curtains work great as pliable covers – tip from my wife); I looked over at the wall where some old hand saws had been hanging, never getting any attention – having a table saw & all... With my new interest in hand tools I plucked them from the wall, noticed a lot of them had this “wheat stock” design & medallion (Philadelphia) on the handles. One has a dragon on it. All still with the garage price sticks on them ($1.50 to $5.00) that my wife’s deceased husband bought but never used. I pulled out a rip saw, & cut a piece of fir with it – smooth like cutting butter. Maybe, just maybe, I have some vintage Disston saws on my hands, so Lucky Ignorant me – maybe. If I get around to it, I’ll post some pictures here….. The pull toward hand tools is compellingly strong. I hope to know just how strong it is this winter….

David Weaver
12-09-2011, 8:21 AM
Great ready for your productivity in the shop to halve and your satisfaction in the shop to quadruple.

Jim Koepke
12-09-2011, 1:14 PM
If I get around to it, I’ll post some pictures here…..

Okay, no teasing… get one of them round tuits and post some pictures.

And welcome to the cave side of the Creek.

I work in my shop during the winter all bundled up. I also have a small electric heater that I point either toward my bench or toward my tools. If it is real cold, it is nice to pick up a plane and not have it feel like an ice cube.

jtk

Mike Allen1010
12-09-2011, 1:20 PM
Great ready for your productivity in the shop to halve and your satisfaction in the shop to quadruple.

+1 to Davids comment.

Sounds like Christmas came early to your house with the "discovery" of the old hand saws on the barn wall. The saw with the Dragon on the handle is likely a Sandvik from Sweden. I've rehabbed and sharpened over 100 vintage hand saws and the Sandvik's are some of my favorite. Great steel that files easily and retains a keen edge.

You mentioned the LN 16" panel saw you just acquired, they make great tools and I'm sure you'll find this all very useful. Once you learn to tuneup/sharpen some of those old full-size 26" -28" hand saws you will be amazed at how quickly and accurately you can cut any size stock to any dimension you want almost without thinking. For me, a lot more satisfying and peaceful than firing up the tablesaw.

Thanks for the post. Best of luck with your hand to experience.

All best, Mike

Dale Cruea
12-09-2011, 2:08 PM
Mike, I started my ww life as a power guy. About 3 weeks ago I moved all of my power tools to a corner of my garage for storage. I have been buying hand saws from the helpful creekers here.
I had a nice start on my hand planes all ready.
I have found that I have slowed way down. Injuries are not nonexistent. I used to walk around with at least 1 band-aid on one hand or the other all the time.
I have learned to tune a plane. Saw kind of straight and use a router plane fairly well.
The enjoyment level for my woodworking has increased to about 10 fold.
I don't miss any of my power tools at all.
I like the way working with hand tools makes me stop and think about how I am going to do something now.
If I need a straight and square edge. I have to make it and not rely on my TS to cut it.
Life is good in the work shop.

Bill White
12-09-2011, 2:39 PM
So ya want us to say "good on ya"? Well, GOOD ON YA!
Though I don't use only hand tools, they are a big portion of my collection of tools for the shop. They are a delight to use.
Get on with it.
Bill

Kenny Stanberry
12-14-2011, 2:20 AM
Good luck on your journey Mike. I started out with hand tools in my first shop class in the 6th grade. From there it went to power tools for the biggest part. I stopped doing woodworking and carpentry for several years, until three years ago. I then took some woodworking classes at our local community college. In the hand tool class I made a smoothing (Krenov) plane and a spoke shave. Also different ways of sharpening plane irons, chisels, and scrapers, etc. Between that and dovetails class and a few project classes was enough to get the saw dust stirred up in my veins. I then started building up my garage shop with power tools and hand tools. All the while I had been following Christopher Schwarz and Popular Woodworking.I liked his writing and the projects he was building and how he was accomplishing them. Now my hand tool arsenal is steadily growing along with the knowledge and skill. Along the way I have bought some crappy tools that would make boat anchors. But it has confirmed my belief you get what you pay for, and don't be afraid to ask when your not sure. As I said before I have several power tools. 3 hp 10"TS, 17" BS, 13" planer, 8"x72" Joiner. Which I use on occasion. But my real joy is being able to accomplis a job using my handtools only. Which I have a bigger investment in and the great part is I am 64 and still learning.

Jim Neeley
12-14-2011, 2:26 PM
I work in my shop during the winter all bundled up. I also have a small electric heater that I point either toward my bench or toward my tools. If it is real cold, it is nice to pick up a plane and not have it feel like an ice cube.

jtk

Hi Jim,

My last shop started out like that; uninsulated and cold here in Alaska. To keep the fun going until I got it insulated, when it got really cold I used to run up to four 1500 watt electric heaters (off of different circuit breakers) around me (a couple on the bench, a couple on the floor) and it was amazing how much more comfortable it kept me.

Some may panic at the thought of the electric bill but, even at $0.15/kwh it is less than $1.00 an hour and spending about $4.00/week for about four hours of recreation in my shop each week was a *very* worthwhile expenditure.

After it was fully insulated one heater, running about 25% of the time kept it comfortable. I'd let it go cold during the week but those 4 heaters would warm the whole shop in about 30 minutes ($0.45) and from then on I was down to the $0.04/hour maintain temperature. At that rate a 12 hour day in the shop cost me less than a dollar.

Don't ask me how I know what it costs when you forget to turn off the heat for several weeks, however.. <g>

Mike Kelsey
12-14-2011, 3:49 PM
Kenny,

High School wood shop is where the spark occurred, although it was all power tools. We're about the same age & of course power tools in the sixties, as you know, was the vogue. I remember trying to use a chisel & handsaw at home & thinking if I ever do any wood working the first thing I'll get is a table saw! You were lucky to be exposed to hand tools at a young age. (This makes me think of another thread to start:)). When I rediscovered the latent wood working desire I started to "power up". It didn't occur to me to look at hand-tools till the last few years. I don't regret the power tool purchases, especially at this stage of experience. Although the interest in studying the desire to use hand tools is strong, I hope I'm not over romanticizing it. Time will tell. I get impatient at time with the fact that I haven't used the tools as much as I'd like, too many other homestead responsibilities divert my focus. My wife reminds me I'm "preping" for "retirement" - which only means not getting up via an alarm clock - , hopefully in the not too distant furure. I like the word "journey" - the path of discovery.

Good luck on your journey Mike. I started out with hand tools in my first shop class in the 6th grade. From there it went to power tools for the biggest part. I stopped doing woodworking and carpentry for several years, until three years ago. I then took some woodworking classes at our local community college. In the hand tool class I made a smoothing (Krenov) plane and a spoke shave. Also different ways of sharpening plane irons, chisels, and scrapers, etc. Between that and dovetails class and a few project classes was enough to get the saw dust stirred up in my veins. I then started building up my garage shop with power tools and hand tools. All the while I had been following Christopher Schwarz and Popular Woodworking.I liked his writing and the projects he was building and how he was accomplishing them. Now my hand tool arsenal is steadily growing along with the knowledge and skill. Along the way I have bought some crappy tools that would make boat anchors. But it has confirmed my belief you get what you pay for, and don't be afraid to ask when your not sure. As I said before I have several power tools. 3 hp 10"TS, 17" BS, 13" planer, 8"x72" Joiner. Which I use on occasion. But my real joy is being able to accomplis a job using my handtools only. Which I have a bigger investment in and the great part is I am 64 and still learning.

Jim Leslie
12-14-2011, 6:36 PM
I too just finished Chris's book; I can relate - it had the same effect and am switching gears away from power tools. My plan is to build that tool chest too...