PDA

View Full Version : Electric Red

Scott Hackler
12-09-2011, 12:03 AM
This hollow form is turned out of curly Redwood. This was my first piece of Redwood and it was a dream to turn and finish. Such fire streaking through this wood, that it seemed electric to me.

3" wide X 5" tall, a bit over 1/8" thick walls and a little carving on the opening. Hand hollowed.

Finished with 6-7 coats of wipe on poly, Beal buffed and Ren wax. I purposely under exposed this picture to try and capture the curl.

Thanks and comment away.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Wow Scott that is a nice HF. That redwood really pops.

Sid Matheny
12-09-2011, 12:45 AM
OH YEAH!! Super HF and the wood is to die for!

Sid

Harry Robinette
12-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Scott
The piece is beautiful and you got a good finish. Does the side curve back out to give it a little wider base or am I seeing an optical illusion from the lighting.

Scott Hackler
12-09-2011, 1:03 AM
..... Does the side curve back out to give it a little wider base or am I seeing an optical illusion from the lighting.

Harry, the profile is a complete taper all the way down. The lighting is playing a little trick, I believe. This one was harder to photograph and capture the curl, so it's a bit darker (under exposed) than it should be. Consequently there are dark shadows around the base.

Thanks for the comments

Hayes Rutherford
12-09-2011, 1:31 AM
Pretty sweet. You have turned out a lot of nice pieces recently and this is no exception.

John Keeton
12-09-2011, 6:27 AM
Nice work, Scott! I have a couple of chunks of that redwood from Mike Smith - I really need to do something with it as it sure is nice.

Donny Lawson
12-09-2011, 6:34 AM
Scott, that is a very beautiful HF. The curl in there just jumps out at you. Thanks for sharing.

Russell Eaton
12-09-2011, 7:35 AM
Another SMOKIN' piece. You have been on quite a roll of late. Keep em coming.

Dennis Ford
12-09-2011, 7:41 AM
The form is very nice, I like the detail you added at the opening. The wood is great and you did a good job of showing it off.

Larry Pickering
12-09-2011, 9:04 AM
I see why you said the redwood was a bomb, nice explosion.

Jim Burr
12-09-2011, 9:07 AM
Great venue to show the wood Scott! There is one more piece of Mikes redwood in the cabinet...hope it looks this good!

Scott Hackler
12-09-2011, 9:13 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I should have included a very well lit photo as well. There have been a few comments here and other sites that the person thought the base was either flared out or not "tucked in". In actuallity, its a continuous curve and there is a very slight tuck in at the bottom. Oh well, where's the expert photographers when you need them? :)

Jim, I had never turned redwood before and after this I WILL be getting some more. The funny thing is that I don't remember Mike Smith charging all that much for his redwood blanks. Of course comparibly to other vendors, he's not charging that much for anything!

Tim Leiter
12-09-2011, 9:20 AM
Very nice form, color and finish Scott. All I can do is admire all the hollow forms on this site. I can't even get a bowl half way done before I ruin it. Maybe someday I'll figure 'em out. Pens I can do, anything else just ends up as trash (don't have a wood stove). Always a joy to admire your work.
Tim.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 9:28 AM
Beautiful little form Scott! Great job on bringing out all that curl in the photo! Reminds me of tigerseye! Very nice work!!

Scott Hackler
12-09-2011, 9:32 AM
Thanks.

This redwood is a practice piece, for the type of wood not the shape. My friend and super master woodturner/basket creator, Jim Adkins, gifted me a giant chunk of curly and figured redwood and I have been "honing up my skills" before tackling the large block. That one is about 12" cubed! :)

Tony De Masi
12-09-2011, 9:39 AM
Beautiful piece Scott. The form is superb and I know you can't take any credit for the wood but is sure is beautiful.

David Reed
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Scott, this is a spectacular piece of redwood. I never would have guessed that curley redwood would be easy to turn - would think tearout tearout... You nailed the proportions and finish on this one. The carving detail at the top adds very much to the finished piece.

Baxter Smith
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Great wood and the finish shows it off well. I like the little bit of carving at the top. Nice work. The big piece that is waiting should be neat to see!

charlie knighton
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
nicely done, redwood can be soft, nice form

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Well done Scott. Very nice shape and the finish really pops the figure. I can't wait to see the big piece

Rich Aldrich
12-09-2011, 7:28 PM
Really nice work. I just started using WOP on bowls and really like it. I also plan to try other finishes as well.