PDA

View Full Version : Spalted bowl

Thomas Heck
12-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Here is a pic. of a bowl I turned tonight. I think it is dogwood. I had some trouble getting it completely smooth in places. Still learning, there was areas where the wood must of been soft and kind of came out.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Nice looking bowl. Whenever I encounter punky wood or soft wood I either mix epoxy with Denatured Alcohol to the consistancey of milk or I will mix white wood glue with water. With either I soak the soft spot and let dry. Sometimes I will saturate it with shellac. Then I go in and finish turning. There are lots of ways to harden it. Sharp tools are a must. Keep at it and they will become easier to do.

John Keeton
12-09-2011, 6:07 AM
Pretty wood, and a tough transition at the bottom. Bernie has some good advice on punky wood.

Donny Lawson
12-09-2011, 6:43 AM
Nice piece. Punky wood is something that takes extra time and care to work with but can look great in the end. I usually either dig the punky wood out and leave it natural or add some thin CA and return.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 9:10 AM
Thomas - Welcome to the Creek!

Pretty wood! Punky wood is a challenge to everyone - especially when on steep sided forms such as this one! Looks like you did pretty good with it! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Jim Burr
12-09-2011, 9:11 AM
I'd say you're moving along just fine Thomas! Use those tips and you will be a Master Bowl Maker in no time!

Thomas Heck
12-09-2011, 8:50 PM
I appreciate all your replies. I'm just learning and need all the encouragement and help I can get.

Nate Davey
12-09-2011, 9:03 PM
Yep punky wood is tough, but you did alright. Beautiful wood, glad to see you stuck with it. If you can turn that stuff nicely, you can turn anything.

Thomas Heck
12-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I find I have a hard time sharpening my tools. I'm not sure if I'm getting the right angle. I have a grinder I got at sears and the finest of the two wheels that came with it is what I have been using. I also have a buffer on the other side.

Marc Himes
12-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Sharp tools are a must. Many of us use the Wolverine system with the Vari-grind adaptor. There are others in the catalogues too and there are many ways to sharpen. The AAW has a nice sharpening video that goes over several different approaches. We spent the last two meetings at our local AAW chapter on sharpening and you may find joining a local woodturning club to be helpful.

Baxter Smith
12-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Thats a pretty piece of wood Thomas. Wood with soft spots can be tough with a very shallow profile. You picked an even tougher shape to go with it. Keep turning!