PDA

View Full Version : A few pics of recent work

Mike Foster
12-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I decided to post a few pics here of some recent work. The honey dippers are for the ladies of the 2 clinics I work in. I started beekeeping this summer and wound up with 45 pounds of honey. Way more than I expected. So I decided to give each of the ladies a pottery honey pot (by local potters, not me) a jar of honey and a dipper. I wanted a little different dipper than the standard and found the bees butt design online. I liked the shape and loved the name, so shamelessly robbed both.
The platter below is from some leftover wood that I had after building my daughter a blanket chest for her wedding this summer. It is a gift for the happy couple for xmas and is 15" x 18" x 1.25". English Oak.
The piece below is the latest in my diatom series. It is actually a Radiolarian, which is a protozoan zooplankton, not a diatom. Both, however, have an silica skeleton that has some incredible detail and structure when viewed with a scanning electron microscope. Macassar Ebony, 3.75" x 6"

Dick Wilson
12-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Mike, I have seen on other site but never get tired of looking at them again and again:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 12:49 AM
I also saw those and they are still beauties. That platter is just gem.

John Keeton
12-09-2011, 6:32 AM
Only on SMC can one get great turnings AND a zoology lesson!! Great work on all of them, but particularly the Radiolarian! Excellent detailing, and beautiful wood!

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 9:11 AM
Mike - beautiful work - as always! Congrats on your WOW cover honors! Well deserved! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Bill Embrey
12-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Mike,

Absolutely awesome work... I could stare at that English Oak platter for hours. The Radiolarian has to be one of the coolest things I think I've seen turned... outstanding stuff.

Scott Lux
12-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I always love your Diatoms. Spectacular. This one is my favorite (so far).