PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10-325 with sawmill track and sled

Cyrus Brewster 7
12-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Attached are several photos of a SketchUp design I made for a sled and track system to cut up logs. First I would like to say that the idea came from a guy (whose name I cannot remember) who posted his on LJ - I just put my own twist on it.

The main reason for posting is to receive as many comments/critiques as possible before I build it. Also... Is this a little over the top?

The features are as follows:

The wheels are 5" urethane "inline skate" wheels. I have placed them about a 1/4" above the BS table surface for two reasons. 1) I do not want the trunion to support any weight. And 2) the only resistance I want to feel is that of the blade.

I plan to use 1.5" angle iron for the frame. This may change if I feel it is either not strong enough (I doubt it), or if it is too heavy. It will be built to be easily disassembled as quickly and in as few parts as possible. I will also probably make it a bit shorter - it is currently 12' (2 x 6' sections). The only part that will touch the saw (other than the blade) will be to attach it to a piece of angle iron that will be permanently attached to the frame. This can kind of be seen in pic 4. Not shown with the leveling feet.

IIRC, the sled will accomadate up to a 6' log. The center piece of the sled fence is movable. No wheels are on the inside rail. I will attached 1/4" UHMW to reduce resistance there. Also, the piece of "U" channel on the right of the sled will be removable so the sled can go on and off.

I look forward to any comments.