PDA

View Full Version : Design Opportunity: A Light Comes On

Baxter Smith
12-08-2011, 9:35 PM
Some of the dyed/sandblasted oak pieces I have seen look interesting and I have plenty of oak. Since they require no purchasing of additional equipment, I have been turning a few thin to play with once dry.
My first attempt was a sassafras piece that was only dyed. I thought I would give the wirebrush a go with my next one, so went looking for the form I liked the least. There were a couple likely choices but I settled on one which seemed to have it all(or lack it). The opening was too big, the foot was too small, the shoulder was too high. A good candidate for the wire wheel on the grinder!
After the wire wheel, I applied black transtint mixed with water, then sanded it back and ended at 600. Asked the wife what color she wanted and the reply was teal. I know nothing about color(among other things) so mixed up some blue and green.:rolleyes:

Its more of a “camo teal” but that didn’t particularly bother me all things considered.
While it was on my homemade reverse chuck and I had been truing up the too small bottom, I had been inattentive with the spindle gouge and it had skated up the side. That meant returning the bottom inch or so and making it rounder and a bit shorter. It looked better, but there were drawbacks.

This was kind of a bummer, but only slightly more than the crack I had put in the top while reverse chucking. I didn’t attempt to glue the small crack until after the dye and first coat of oil. By that time, it had opened enough so I couldn’t get it tight.

The Mrs. has made the suggestion several times on what I should do with one of my hollowforms. I wasn’t too surprised when the I heard the suggestion again as a Christmas gift for our daughter. Since one of the windowsills in my shop is already overflowing with oops, it seemed like an opportune time.
I had plenty of miscellaneous lamp parts so….

My part is done. The shade decision I leave to the person in charge of such things.

This shade is already in use but you get the idea.
The top of the form is the remainder of a parted off maple glueblock. The bottom is a piece of poplar that I had cut round to use for a glueblock.
Both those pieces were dyed with the leftover teal with a couple drops of black added. Then a coat of Bush Oil for all.
The wooden part is 9” hx 5”w
Definitely not as original or amusing as the sink/bowl Wally posted yesterday, but perhaps more practical.;):)

Your thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Roger Chandler
12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I think you had a great idea, Baxter......that foot on the lamp just sets it off in my opinion..........the dyeing process really made the grain pop and made for a bold statement from that wood that would otherwise not have been brought out.

Cool,............really, really cool!

Dick Wilson
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Baxter, the only person who will ever know is you..............and all of your fellow creekers, but we won't say anything:D:D.
After all the time you have invested in it a lamp is the perfect recovery.

Scott Hackler
12-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Thats funny and cool! Now you need to get busy on a super thin piece for a lamp shade!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Baxter that is a cool lamp. Scott beat me to it but was going to ask where is the turned lamp?

Sid Matheny
12-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Nice save!

Sid

Rick Markham
12-09-2011, 2:09 AM
Thats funny and cool! Now you need to get busy on a super thin piece for a lamp shade!!!

Oh Wow! Now that's a brilliant idea there!

Baxter, that looks like one of the nicest lamps I've seen! I love the curves of the form, and the foot really fits and still shows off the tucked bottom. Well done, I like the dye job as well. Nice design opportunity.

Bill Hensley
12-09-2011, 5:59 AM
Way to re-purpose an otherwise fine looking funnel!

Carl Civitella
12-09-2011, 6:22 AM
That is really neat. Since most of it is hollowed out, is it heavy enough for a table lamp? Carl

John Keeton
12-09-2011, 6:24 AM
Baxter, you could have just said the lamp was the intent all along and the rest of us would have been even more impressed!!;) Nice work, and I like the outcome. It needs something other than an off white shade, but I, too, would leave that to the person in charge of such things!

I am interested in the wire brush technique - did you use a wire brush mounted on the lathe? Or a handled brush by hand, or was the piece on the lathe?

Jim Underwood
12-09-2011, 8:26 AM
Nice! That works really well for a lamp...

Maybe I can do that with the one where I parted off the neck.... :rolleyes:

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2011, 8:43 AM
Nice save Baxter. That's a good looking lamp.

Jim Burr
12-09-2011, 8:58 AM
What if you cored out a lamp shade? Nicely done Baxter...looks like the wire wheel really opens up the grain.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 9:03 AM
That is a great looking lamp! Your daughter is going to love it!

I really like the brushed look! Could you give us a little more detail on how you went about that? Thanks!

Alan Trout
12-09-2011, 9:21 AM
That is a great save and I like the idea of the wire wheel and dies. You need to keep working with this. It looks great.

Alan

Baxter Smith
12-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the positive thoughts on my latest design opportunity!

...... get busy on a super thin piece for a lamp shade!!!
Who knows, accidents do happen Scott. Just have to make sure my next attempt at turning a hollowform thin is the right size and shape.:eek:

That is really neat. Since most of it is hollowed out, is it heavy enough for a table lamp? Carl
I was wondering about that as I made the base Carl. I hollowed it a bit so I could add some weights there if neccessary. The diameter of the base is 4" and since the lamp is not that tall, it seems fine as is.

........I am interested in the wire brush technique - did you use a wire brush mounted on the lathe? Or a handled brush by hand, or was the piece on the lathe?
John, I had thought about using a handled brush and should have given it a try first but didn't. I had a fine wire wheel I had never used so put it on one side of the 6" grinder I keep in the heated part of my shop. Set a plywood scrap on the ways of the lathe, then the grinder on top of that with the dust collection hose behind it. With a fairly light touch and following the grain, I was able to do a fairly even job. You just need to remember to brush down hill from the widest part to the mouth, then from the shoulder to the foot. Otherwise you will dig up too much in a hurry(especially near the top of the shoulder coming up from the mouth).
Sandblasting might avoid some of that problem and also allow you to get into a tighter radius. But at the moment, I haven't tried to obtain the right stuff to use in my blast cabinet(and its in the unheated part of my shop).

That is a great save and I like the idea of the wire wheel and dies. You need to keep working with this. It looks great.
Alan
Thanks Alan. The black dye is drying on another one right now. Hopefully, it won't also end up as a lamp. It would be too bad to make something that "looks great" and is useful too. Perhaps I can end up with neither on this one.:)

Mike Cruz
12-09-2011, 8:07 PM
Normally, I would not have commented on this. Mainly because I don't know enough to be a good critic. I don't see the shoulder as too high, or the bottom as being too small. The form, to me, is just fine. It is NOT an eye sore, so I like it. I have to say, though, the color does nothing for me. I hesitate to say this....but it looks like pressure treated BORG wood. Sorry Baxter, I don't mean to belittle it, or you. That's just what I see...

Baxter Smith
12-10-2011, 12:33 AM
I have to say, though, the color does nothing for me. I hesitate to say this....but it looks like pressure treated BORG wood. ...
Hey Mike, glad to see we have something in common!:D
Someday I will learn to test colors before I put them on a turned piece. I assumed that 2 drops of green and 2 drops of blue would make teal. (The wifes request:)) It has a little more of a bluish cast than the pictures show but its not a ratio I plan on repeating. Dyed another oak piece today with a ratio of 3 blue to 1 green. You can tell me what you think the next time I set up the photo tent.:)

Mike Cruz
12-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Or bring it by, Baxter! You are welcome here anytime...

Baxter Smith
12-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Or bring it by, Baxter! You are welcome here anytime...
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it and will get back there again sometime. A minimum of 6 hours driving for a couple hours of fun makes it tough. Now if I had a designated driver for the ride home.......;):)

Kathy Marshall
12-11-2011, 1:02 AM
Very nice save Baxter! I like the results you got from the wire brushing. I'm sure "She who knows best" will find the perfect shade for it and the perfect spot to display it!