PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening - honing stone thickness ranges

Sean Rainaldi
12-08-2011, 7:36 PM
What is the general thickness range for sharpening stones? Around 1/4" to 1.5" thick or something like that?

Terry Beadle
12-09-2011, 9:47 AM
Most stones are around an inch or slightly thicker. Some of mine are 1 3/8th's thick.

I do have a extra wide and high 1000 grit King that's 3 1/4 inch thick but it's the exception.

Water stones vary in length and width quite a bit.

So the answer is mostly yes ! YMMV

Sean Rainaldi
12-29-2011, 9:26 AM
Thanks,

So could we say that the King stones are about the only stones out there that are over 1 1/2" thick?

David Weaver
12-29-2011, 9:30 AM
Naniwa makes big ones, and I would suspect if you went to japanese retailers, you could find others.

I doubt many are marketed to users over here.

There are gobs of natural stones thicker than that, but they aren't something you want to get into unless you're the curious type and have deep pockets.

Van Huskey
12-29-2011, 1:07 PM
I think you are resonably close to a range though a little thicker is pretty common also. The diamond Shapton and DMT et al will be about the thinest you will find and some of the man made water stones will be the thickest you will see normally. FYI if you ask this over in the Neander forum you will likely get a more complete answer, some of the real galoots never venture over here into 'lectricity land.