PDA

View Full Version : Masochist's gloat

Mark Baldwin III
12-08-2011, 6:30 PM
In case anyone wondered why I suddenly sold off a bunch of tools...well, if it's not pulling its weight, it has to go to make room for something that WILL pull its weight. One thing lacking in my shop is a good shooting board plane. I got the smoother because I wanted a metal smoother that didn't need seasonal tweaks. This isn't to say that my woodies should start heading for the unemployment line though. The irons are already done, but the bodies have lots of machine work to go through. On to the picture! Just in from St. James Bay, my bronze miter plane kit, and my Norris no. 51 kit.

Jim Koepke
12-08-2011, 11:43 PM
In case anyone wondered why I suddenly sold off a bunch of tools...well, if it's not pulling its weight, it has to go to make room for something that WILL pull its weight.

Lucky for me, it is often easier to find more room than to sell a tool.

Of course, if there is a shiny new toy wanting to play in my shop… Then there are a few slackers that can find a new home.

jtk

Mark Baldwin III
12-09-2011, 5:37 AM
Lucky for me, it is often easier to find more room than to sell a tool.

Of course, if there is a shiny new toy wanting to play in my shop… Then there are a few slackers that can find a new home.

jtk
I have a small house, with a very tiny shop. I'd be willing to bet that at least one member here has a shop that is equal to or larger than my house (750 sq feet). Some tools we form bonds with, and those ones will stay pretty much no matter what. My LV skewed rabbet, for instance, is (was) a great plane. My 160 year old E.Baldwin moving fillister, however...well there's an attachment there and I started using it and tuning it. So, the LV was sold to a new home where it can bond with it's new user. On the other hand, I have an old Craftsman plane that was given to me. It has a face like a mud fence, but that plane has proved its worth, and if I ever stop using it, I doubt I would send it off. It all works out in my twisted little way ;)

Chris Griggs
12-09-2011, 7:34 AM
I'm the same way, no room for tools I don't use and generally I can't stand having tools that go unused. I wouldn't be surprised I build a bunch of Wenzloff kits someday and sell off my LN saws, and if I start making woodies I could very easily sell of some of my metal planes. I love my LV skew rabbet, but its definitely a style of plane where there is enough metal to wood contact causing friction (yes I wax [the plane]) that I have sometimes wondered if I would prefer wooden filletster or plain ole rabbet plane if I had them and got good with them.

Cool kit BTW... great gloat!

Trevor Walsh
12-09-2011, 8:13 PM
What was the cost on the StJB mitre? and what methof of communication did you use with them? I've heard they are hard to get in contact with sometimes, e.g I wrote emails about parts for their router planes which I bought castings on ebay for... and am still awaiting a reply over a year later.

Mark Baldwin III
12-09-2011, 9:49 PM
Trevor, I had heard here that Bob wasn't the greatest with e-mail, so I called. He is a wealth of knowledge and was a pleasure to chat with. Between two calls, we easily cleared an hour of talking.

Christopher Charles
12-10-2011, 9:12 PM
Congrats on the new kits--will look forward to seeing progress on them!I too bought a metal smoother for the same reason and will never part with the woodie. Do have a wooden jointer that's not seeing enough use..Cheers C

Mark Baldwin III
12-11-2011, 9:08 PM
Congrats on the new kits--will look forward to seeing progress on them!I too bought a metal smoother for the same reason and will never part with the woodie. Do have a wooden jointer that's not seeing enough use..Cheers C
I have a wooden jointer as well. It's a Krenov style that I built. I'd like a metal jointer with a wider iron. I know St James has a 17" DT kit. Next time I have the funds, I'll have to see if he is going to make a kit in the 22" range.

Mark Baldwin III
12-13-2011, 9:05 PM
In case anyone is interested in following along with the building of these planes, I have started on the miter plane here: http://milwaukeemonastery.blogspot.com/p/building-miter-plane.html . Once I get further along on that one, I'll get going on the smoother.