PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Cutterhead insert sizes

Deane Allinson
12-08-2011, 6:29 PM
My first post upstairs, bare with me please.
I have an older used 24" Delta RC63N planer. It has an aftermarket 6 row spiral head on it. I need to replace all of the cutters and I don't know the head manufacturer. The inserts are 14x14x2 but it seems that there are 2 types, China/USA and German made. They have different counter sunk screw sizes. I called a couple of vendors and they couldn't give me any hole diameters on either type. My through hole dia. is 6.25MM. Grizzly china type? or Greman type?
Deane

Mark Engel
12-08-2011, 6:52 PM
I have the Grizzly G0453PX with the 14mm x 14mm x 2mm cutters. I just measured the hole in one of the spare cutters with a digital calpier and it is exactly 1/4".

The large diameter of the head of the screw that holds the cutter to the cutter head is 11/32, 8.80mm, .347"

HTH

David Kumm
12-08-2011, 7:03 PM
The 63N stands for Newman. Whitney, Newman made that planer for Delta and it is considered the best old Delta because Whitney made arguably the best planer ever. The spiral head was a cheaper version- fewer rows and teeth- of their own head. Whitney is still in business so you should contact them for info regarding inserts. You could also check with OWWM.org as those guys should definitely have the information or who to contact. Dave

Deane Allinson
12-08-2011, 7:08 PM
Thanks Mark, I just checked again and my hole dia is 6.28mm and .247" with these cheap calipers. large dia. is .371. It seems to be a Gris type cutter. Too bad though, the German ones were cheaper which is odd.
Deane

Deane Allinson
12-08-2011, 7:13 PM
I called Whitney Newman folks this afternoon and they said that they never made a 6 row sprial. T then called the previous planer owner and he told me that he didn't want to pay for the expensive cutters and replaced the head with an after market one that he can't remember who made. Too bad again.
Deane

David Kumm
12-08-2011, 8:09 PM
Bummer Deane, I hope the seller told you that when you bought it. With the original head those planers are pretty desirable. If it works well only your heirs will care. Have you any idea how long ago it was replaced? Not many heads were made before a few years ago. Assuming no markings on it. If you find out keep us informed. Dave

Deane Allinson
12-09-2011, 4:21 PM
Dave, Indead a bummer. The former owner doesn't still have the original cutter head. He must have sold it when he put the cheaper one in, (he forgot). I called the Newman Whitney folks to get a cost on a new replacement Helical head. $7,000.00. I'll stick with what I have.
Deane

Bryan Cowing
12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
check this out, I have dealt with them, fast shipping.http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html

Van Huskey
12-12-2011, 2:03 PM
Global tooling is a good source, another one you may try (call) is http://www.extremausashop.com/index.php/cutters-knives/cutter-tips.html