PDA

View Full Version : NE Hickory Nut Bowl

Baxter Smith
12-08-2011, 5:29 PM
After all Ken Hills pretty hickory bowl postings recently, I figured it was about time to finish one of several I had gotten from Ken last November. There are 3 or 4 other hickory pieces roughed out, but this was the one that needed to get finished in time for the holidays.:)
I had decided to turn this NE to completion and was using the tailstock for support when I saw a grain pattern develop on the inside that I hated to turn away. Perhaps I was thinking about Euell Gibbons and wild hickory nut commercials, or how at Christmas both my parents and grandparents always had a bowl of mixed nuts on the table. I really like nuts and wanted a keeper…… so I drilled a couple of holes in the top and turned a recess in the bottom. I hoped that a somewhat even wall thickness might allow it to dry without cracking.

I returned the center portion and inside bottom since they were pretty rough for sanding. I didn’t get things recentered well since the small holes are no longer centered.
Turned away the recess for rechucking in the bottom,

then put it to use.

Thanks again Ken for the wood and helping a tradition continue.:)
10.5" x 8" x 3.75"h Finished with 3 coats of AO.
Comments or suggestions are always welcome.

Marty Eargle
12-08-2011, 5:34 PM
Wow! Not only is that some beautiful wood...but a completely unique, practical, and awesome design. Leaving the natural edge on gives a perfect feeling for cracked nuts.

That's a piece that would make any table or counter look better, Baxter.

Jesse Goodwin
12-08-2011, 5:35 PM
I really like the concept of the built in nut cracker holder. It brought a tear to my eye thinking about eating Christmas nuts with my Dad as a young boy. Thanks for the memories, Baxter.

When I die, just bury me in my shavings.

Scott Hackler
12-08-2011, 5:37 PM
Now that is a cool idea. I really like the finished product and that brings memories back to me as well. We always had nuts to crack and snack on during the holidays. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Burr
12-08-2011, 5:41 PM
Ha!! What a great idea!!! I failed to read all the fun stuff and thought "oops...sweet funnel!" Very nice NE...I'm nuts about it!

David E Keller
12-08-2011, 6:41 PM
What a cool idea! I guess I grew up lazy 'cause our nuts were already cracked... Makes me wonder what else I missed out on in childhood! Pretty wood and a great shape, but what makes it for me is that craggy bark!

David DeCristoforo
12-08-2011, 6:46 PM
Very cool! I am having a hard time suppressing the wisecracks about "natural edge hickory nuts" or Keller's comment about his nuts being "already cracked". So I can only say, this would make a very nice centerpiece for everyone's favorite time of the year. I'll bet you could sell a million of these every December and then just spend the rest of the year on your private tropical island...

Ted Calver
12-08-2011, 6:56 PM
Great execution of a really cool idea!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2011, 7:16 PM
That is just to cool Baxter. That is a neat idea.

John Keeton
12-08-2011, 8:37 PM
Positively a nutty idea!!!:D

Baxter Smith
12-08-2011, 9:16 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. They gave me a few chuckles! Glad the nuts brought back some fond memories. DD, I will resist making any comments relative to the apparent origin of someones fondness for cracked turnings or other health issues.;):)

Tim Rinehart
12-08-2011, 9:30 PM
I like it Baxter. I have great memories of our family always having some gnarly looking nut bowl with natural edge around it ( basically a ring of wood from a tree) but this surpasses that one.
Very nice!

Baxter Smith
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I have great memories of our family always having some gnarly looking nut bowl with natural edge around it ...

That made me smile Tim. My grandparents had something similar. I always thought it was kind of tacky. I was remembering that impression while the thought of making this one was crossing my mind.;):)

Roger Chandler
12-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I LIKE IT!!!!! That is just cool, Baxter! A great way to have a holiday tradition readily available for family and guests........we always had mixed nuts in a bowl as well at Christmas.............this is a great way to have them displayed!

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Great idea Baxter and a beautiful bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2011, 4:59 PM
This is great! I have to agree with David - not on the biting the tongue part - but that you could sell all of these that you could turn! Something to keep in mind!!

Mike Cruz
12-09-2011, 7:56 PM
Baxter, what a great idea! I had to go back to the picture to see it again to see what you had done. It looked like you went too thin on the bottom and inlayed a circle with four ebony dots in it. I love this idea so much that I might have to make one for my Mom. Christmas time has always brought a bowl with nuts. It won't happen this Christmas, but maybe for next. Thanks for sharing this. It is just beautiful...

Baxter Smith
12-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the thoughts!

This is great! I have to agree with David - not on the biting the tongue part - but that you could sell all of these that you could turn! Something to keep in mind!!
Steve, I am thinking David is going to be saturating the west coast market with these now he has that wood from Roger. If you handle the middle part of the country, that will only leave the East coast lacking.:)

Perhaps you are right. There just seems to be a great disparity between what I would be willing to pay for something I have turned, compared to what I would be willing to do it for. Eventually I may have to do something besides fillup cardboard boxes in my shop.:rolleyes::)

I love this idea so much that I might have to make one for my Mom. Christmas time has always brought a bowl with nuts. It won't happen this Christmas, but maybe for next...
Sounds good Mike. Maybe you can get some more hickory from Ken, though I think she would probably like one made from your ambrosia maple just as well.

Mike Cruz
12-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I keep trying to get that bum over here, but he's always got something to do! He would be more than welcome to some. He doesn't need to give me anything, he's given out plenty of wood...

Hayes Rutherford
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Baxter, I would like the right to manufacture and distribute in the Pacific Northwest! Nice variation on the natural edge bowl.

Bill Wyko
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I just turned Hickory for my first time. Lets just say I'm not a big fan of the wood. You however, have done an incredible job with it. Absolutely beautiful my friend.

Dave Ogren
12-10-2011, 1:05 PM
Great idea about the built in nut tool holder. Keep up the good ideas.
Thanks,
Dave

Joe Watson
12-10-2011, 7:33 PM
Thats great, nice work. Always good to see something thats clever, alittle artsy and put to good use.

Ken Hill
12-10-2011, 7:49 PM
I told everyone this Hickory is pretty stuff!

John TenEyck
12-10-2011, 8:03 PM
Wow, I'll have to stop burning some of the hickory wood I get, 'cause that sure it nice. Clever idea and beautiful work.

Baxter Smith
12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks again for your positive feedback!

Baxter, I would like the right to manufacture and distribute in the Pacific Northwest! Nice variation on the natural edge bowl.
Hayes, consider those rights granted. You can even cover the mid-Atlantic while you're at it.;):)

Kathy Marshall
12-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Very cool idea Baxter! It's a beautiful bowl and the built in holder is a winner!