PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Drop-leaf Table

Joe Arcimboldo
12-08-2011, 3:12 PM
This post is the first in what I hope will be several that chart the course of my work over the past year or so.
A little over a year ago I set up my bench and hand tools over at a friend's shop. Before that, my woodworking experience was limited to a few flourishes I put on my work as a re-modeling contractor and as a helper to my dad (who taught industrial arts for 30 years).
This cherry dining table was the first fine work that I did; I finished it about this time last year.

I wanted a style that had honest joinery, straightforward construction (no doors or drawers), and a clean, versatile design. Coupled with that, I had a friend/client (did I just coin that?) who needed a table in the worst way. He was a bachelor at that time and usually ate by himself, but occasionally had company. So with all this is mind, I settled on this drop-leaf design in a Shaker style. And cherry was a no-brainer.

One thing I discovered about the curly cherry is that while the figure really is gorgeous, matching curls to swirls can be a challenge. The first day I had it in the shop, my old man helped me lay out some boards for the leaves and main part of the top. He put them together in a way that he liked, called me over and said, "Now this is just a suggestion." I promptly took them apart and spent another hour doing it my way--flipping them over and turning them around, puzzling and stewing. He just laughed and said, "I knew you were gonna do that."

I'll save any other discussion about methods or whatever for those who have questions or want procedural clarifications. Here are a few main facts to clarify the main stuff.

Dimensions: 62" x 32" top 31" tall tapered legs are about 2 1/4 at the top (if I remember)
Finish: Sanded to 320, put it in the sun for a couple afternoons, 2 coats BLO, 6 coats of hot rod varnish, wiped on (SW fast-dry, naphtha, BLO)
Time: 40 hours construction, almost another 40 hours on the finish (I've posted about this disaster elsewhere--I lik'da killed myself)
If I had a do-over: I'd conserve more wood in the way I tapered the legs
What I'm proudest of: that rule joint is tight as Dick's hatband
Questions and kudos are welcomed, but critique is even better.

Wally Alexander
12-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Very nice table, I really like the top, with the exception of the sap wood. You really did a nice job matching the grain. The one critique I have is just a personal preference, I'm not a big fan of using sap wood, especially in cherry. If it was a door panel, maybe, but not a table top. Just my opinion, and otherwise a very nice table. Wally

Ed Gibbons
12-10-2011, 3:31 PM
I like the sap wood. I think it adds character.

Joe Arcimboldo
12-12-2011, 9:02 AM
In the end I didn't mind the sapwood much, but for the most part I'd tend to agree with you, Wally. That sapwood piece that ended up being the back leaf was initially supposed to be cut up for the aprons. However, I ended up using it for the top when I realized that the really wide piece that I had gotten for the top was too straight grained to look good with the curly stuff. So, in the end I went with the leseer of two evils; I matched the curly to curly even though it had the sap. I imagine in a few years that contrast will not be so great between the light and dark.

I have nothing but wonder for folks who can utilize curly cherry for an entire secretary or highboy and have it come out looking harmonious.

Jay Jolliffe
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Nice job....I don't mind the sap wood as that's what the wood is like. I have 3 pieces of cherry that are 24''x1''x10' ad they have the same sap wood on the edges so after seeing your table gives me some Ideas for the use of the wood I have. I've only been holding on to it fro 3 yrs now & haven't figured a use for it.....until now