PDA

View Full Version : Ash Hollow Form

Rob Cunningham
12-08-2011, 2:21 PM
Here's a little HF made from 12/4 Ash left over from a flatwork project. It's 3-3/4" diameter x 2" tall with @1" opening. I used green Transtint dye and topcoated it with EM6000 Gloss (Target Coatings). Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Roger Chandler
12-08-2011, 2:23 PM
That has some eye appeal Rob.......I like ash for turning.........the dye job is nice.........might make a good accessory on someones living room table.............any plans for a lid and finial?

John Keeton
12-08-2011, 3:37 PM
Rob, really an interesting color on the ash, particularly with the grain. It seems to have several shades, which is nice. You might consider a bit smaller base on one if you have more of the ash and see what that does. I would avoid having the mouth and base the same size, though.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2011, 3:46 PM
The dye works well with this wood! Really like how you oriented the grain - great effect on the top!

Jim Burr
12-08-2011, 3:53 PM
I really like the overall form and the color is very well done! I think the foot could be smaller to avoid the "plunk" feeling.

Baxter Smith
12-08-2011, 5:43 PM
Very pretty color and finish Rob. I have only used Bush Oil so far on some dyed things and my wife thinks they need more gloss. She would go for yours!

David E Keller
12-08-2011, 6:37 PM
Neat little piece! I like the green, too. In addition to the smaller bottom suggestions, I think I might like that little bead detail near the top to be a bit 'crisper'. It may just be the photo angle, but the shoulder could be a touch higher proportionally. The dye really works well with that ash... I love the variation in color shown along the rings! Top notch finish as well!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2011, 7:18 PM
Really a nice HF and I do like the dye. Really makes the grain look wavy.

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2011, 8:56 AM
Thanks for the comments. I don't have any plans for a lid or finial, I'm not to good with the spindle turning stuff yet.
David- when you say the bead detail could be crisper, do you mean a sharper corner at the transition point of the bead and the form?

John Keeton
12-09-2011, 9:18 AM
Rob, in the event David doesn't make it back, I think he would be referring the the transition point where the bead meets the top. It could be a more definitive 90* transition such that the bead looks like it is applied - not rolling into the top of the form.

Prashun Patel
12-09-2011, 9:32 AM
I love the finish. I like the color variations. I think eliminating that would make it look like a production piece.

As for the form, it's beautiful as is, but I agree with the comments about crisper collar, smaller base, and higher shoulder.