PDA

View Full Version : Big Leaf Burl

Larry Pickering
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
At SWAT,David Keller and I were eyeing a large Big Leaf maple burl at Mike Smith's booth, we both had reservations about spending that much money on apiece of wood. At he last minute I pulled the trigger, then it got worse, I ending buying a McNaugton Center Saver to try and maximize the burl, then proceeded to make funnels out of every thing I could get my hands on. The results; 15 x 7 natural edge bowl oil soaked and Ren waxed. 10 x 4 natural edge bowl also oil bath and Ren waxed and a 12 1/2 tall goblet with a top? a box? or a hollow form. The inside is gold leafed and inside the lid is a polymer clay flower that my daughter made for me, she said it was a reward for not going through bottom of the large bowl. The finial and base are cocobola. The vessel is finished with rattle can lacquer. I could have got one more bowl but I got cold feet, visions of funnels, dancing in my head.

David, sorry about your pet pig being mauled by Mike the Tiger.

Larry Pickering

Roger Chandler
12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
VERY nice indeed!

Scott Hackler
12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
BLM burl is such an awesome wood to turn. Those guys in the Pacific northwest are spoiled (yes Terry I mean you!). It looks like you were able to get several pieces out of the large burl so it turned out with good results!

PS: Mike Smith's booth is a danger zone! I bought some more different blank, in Waco, to "sample" some different woods and the next time I order or see him I fear for my wallet. Let's just say that curly redwood is THE BOMB and claro walnut and BLM and madrone and ..........

Jim Burr
12-08-2011, 11:08 AM
You sure tore into that one Larry...beautiful!!! I have several pieces from Mike that I was reluctant to put on the little lathe...but now is a different story!!! How do you like the McNaughton...I'm thinking that or the Oneway. Again...very nice work!

Larry Pickering
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
You sure tore into that one Larry...beautiful!!! I have several pieces from Mike that I was reluctant to put on the little lathe...but now is a different story!!! How do you like the McNaughton...I'm thinking that or the Oneway. Again...very nice work!

I'm getting used to it, a friend has the Oneway, and I tried it, it's easier to use but it has some limitations. I prefer the McNaughton

Dan Forman
12-08-2011, 2:03 PM
That ought to pretty much pay for the Mcnaughten right there. Interesting the way the finial sits down into the goblet top. That is some really orange cocobolo!

Dan