PDA

View Full Version : Must be something in the air

Brian Weaver
12-08-2011, 7:42 AM
I have recently been having a fixation with sphere's too. The one in the center I turned about a year ago and that was going to be that. Well our local turning club wants me to do a demo on them in January so I had to do a couple more so I could remember how I did it! The one in the center I turned the outside sphere free hand but for expediency at the demo I built a simple jig for turning the other 2. The hollowing was done with an allen wrench, so the inside balls are not by any means perfectly round but over all not bad. The one on the right needs to go back on the lathe as I have a bit more to remove on the inside. The center and left one are birch the right one is ash. They are about 4" in diameter. Sorry about the photo, I still need to build a photo tent. C&C always welcome.

Roger Chandler
12-08-2011, 8:31 AM
Brian,

You should post a "how to" thread on these with lots of pics in sequence ................this would be a great tutorial!!!

Tim Rinehart
12-08-2011, 8:33 AM
Cool Brian. On my list of things to try, would love seeing the demo.
I have one of these jade looking (soapstone, I suspect) pieces I brought back from China with about 4 or 5 layers...crazy. I had no idea how they did it, and I do to a degree now...but getting beyond one or two layers seems a big of a challenge!
Can I assume you use a type of pancake chuck (correct term?) to hold these while indexing around to each hole?

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2011, 8:53 AM
Impressive work Brian! I especially like the added detail in your newer turnings!

You don't list your location... I am sure there are some members that would like to see your demo!!

Scott Hackler
12-08-2011, 9:17 AM
Those are very cool. I came very close to buying the dedicated tools for turning these kind of things but passed. I have enough trouble trying to turn a sphere let alone one inside the other!

Will Winder
12-08-2011, 9:49 AM
Nice work, these are really neat. Things like this in the book "Woodturning Wizardry" are what got me interested wood turning earlier this year. I especially like the idea of making specialized tools designed for one specific cut.

Jim Burr
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I remember someone selling the tools for those recently...way over my head!

David DeCristoforo
12-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Impressive. The balls are awesome. I'm not even ready to try that yet! Oh and BTW, I simply love your photo backdrop! Walmart?

Brian Weaver
12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Costco actually! :D

Steve, I guess I never noticed that I didn't have my location set. I will get that done now. I am in Columbia Falls, MT and a member of the Glacier Woodturners. Unfortunately it's a bit out of the way for most of you.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Never been there but know it has to be beautiful country! I graduated High School in Great Falls. That was a few years ago but sure remember all the great hunting and fishing!

John W Dixon
12-08-2011, 4:14 PM
I thought they were cool before I even realized there was another sphere inside. Pretty neat stuff. I second the picture tutorial.

Baxter Smith
12-08-2011, 5:38 PM
Some things are still so far beyond me that I don't even try and comprehend them, or even think about wanting to try one. These fit that category! Very cool!