PDA

View Full Version : Help with Piano Finished Item

Wayne Grecco
12-08-2011, 3:01 AM
To all...
I have an order to fill for a rosewood piano finished wooden item and have never engraved on this type of item before. I am just looking for some setting suggestions so I dont ruin this piece as it isnt exactly a cheap item.

I have an Epilog Mini 18 45Watt machine. I know each machine is different when it comes to settings but am just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks all!

Wayne

Mark Conde
12-08-2011, 7:36 AM
It will laser similar to most other woods. But be prepared to color fill. Engraving into the dark rosewood leaves little contrast. Color filling (IMO) produces an upscale finished result.

Dee Gallo
12-08-2011, 9:08 AM
I sacrificed one to do tests and saved it for future reference. This kind of thing helps you learn and also helps you remember what gives you the effect you want for different things. I also practiced color filling on this when I first started and removed the color fill, then did it again and again to get the process down pat. I have a test file I use on every new substrate so I can compare how it will burn (wood, anodized, acrylic, bamboo, cermark, etc.) You can see the difference between the greyscale and PhotoGrav processed photo too.

cheers, dee

Mike Null
12-08-2011, 9:14 AM
The piano finish is a thick and brittle coating easily damaged. Color filling is essential to get a good look. (I use metal plates instead of engraving into the piano finish) Have some plastic polish handy or mask the plaque with transfer paper to avoid smoking the finish.

Martin Boekers
12-08-2011, 10:27 AM
A big issue that I have had with piano finishes. Each product is different. Is that many are
made from rubber wood. Which if you decide on more than one pass you get a sticky residue.
I color fill all of these finish plaques. I always clean the fill with a Novus #2 fine polish.
Good luck on and item thta is very expensive as it may different than the standard
piano finish clocks and plaques.