PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Tools

Reed Gray
12-08-2011, 12:56 AM
I have noticed one side effect of the D Way CBN grinding wheels. There is a lot of steel dust/filings left on the bench after sharpening. If I lay a tool down any where near the grinder, when I pick it up, it has a metal dust beard. I have no idea how the tool gets magnetized. I usually tap it on an old round bar tool rest that I don't like, because I heard that will demagnetize the tool. Seems to work well. Dave suggested I get a demagnetizer at the local big box store. Maybe some day, if I remember.

robo hippy

John Keeton
12-08-2011, 6:16 AM
Perhaps your tools want only to emulate their owner as he appears at times!!:D

I have seen folks store their turning gouges on magnetic strips. I do that with my odds and ends - allen wrenches, chuck keys, etc., but not gouges! At one time, I had a gouge become magnetized and I could actually feel the resistance on the toolrest - not good!

The demagnetizer sounds like a good idea - one should have that item around for a variety of uses!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Reed I use a demagnetizer on my gouges that I use in my clock work. The one at the big box store works quite well.

Steve Kubien
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
How about putting a few magnets on the bench to help catch the dust? Wrap 'em in a plastic bag and it will be easy to clean too.

Jamie Donaldson
12-08-2011, 1:47 PM
Bernie- I have a small degausser that I used for my camera repair tools, but what type of units do the big box stores stock these days?

Noah Barfield
12-08-2011, 2:04 PM
Hi Reed,

I'm not a scientist, but I seem to remember from high school chemistry that ferrous objects can be temporarily magnetized by aligning the atoms using an outside force (i.e. a magnet, or in your case a spinning metal wheel). Your method of striking the tool on a hard object is probably the fastest and cheapest solution.

Noah

David Cefai
12-08-2011, 2:21 PM
I haven't tried this but it makes sense; Pass the magnetised item through the "wire loop" bit of a soldering gun. It will act as a demagnetising coil.

Joe Watson
12-09-2011, 1:48 AM
I have seen folks store their turning gouges on magnetic strips. I do that with my odds and ends - allen wrenches, chuck keys, etc., but not gouges! At one time, I had a gouge become magnetized and I could actually feel the resistance on the toolrest - not good!
I am ( / was) one of them people, been using "earth" magnets on a piece of flat stock screwed to the wall, over time magnetized gouges and tool post resistance never crossed my mind - thanks for posting that.

_

Reed Gray
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Steve,

Dave did mention putting a magnet to capture the filings, I never thought to put a magnet in a plastic bag. Great idea.

I do remember an article in Fine Woodworking years ago, about old timers claiming that putting cutting tools on magnets effected the cutting edge as in they would go dull more quickly.

robo hippy

Jim Underwood
12-09-2011, 5:04 PM
My dad used to use the soldering iron trick. It worked too...

Chris Stolicky
12-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Once upon time I was keeping my turning tools on those magnetic strips. I became concerned when my Thompson gouges began to stick to my tool rests. I invested in an electronic demagnetizer from Enco. I think I got it for around $30 at the time. It worked great.

It is essentially a coil with a current running through it. But for us non-electrical type folks, it was easier to purchase this for much less than the cost a single decent gouge:
http://www.useenco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=285-2520&PMPXNO=950495&PARTPG=INSRHI

Baxter Smith
12-10-2011, 11:53 PM
I have been wondering about this for the last couple days I have watched this thread so its about time I asked!

I have noticed the very obvious steel dust everywhere as well. Why the increase(in obviousness at least)??? The wheel guards are gone? Its not being covered up by the white dust from the wheels wearing away? Its grinding my tools expensive steel a lot faster? All of the above? Just wondering!

Dan Kralemann
12-11-2011, 3:29 PM
I have been wondering about this for the last couple days I have watched this thread so its about time I asked!

I have noticed the very obvious steel dust everywhere as well. Why the increase(in obviousness at least)??? The wheel guards are gone? Its not being covered up by the white dust from the wheels wearing away? Its grinding my tools expensive steel a lot faster? All of the above? Just wondering!

I have recently acquired a CBN grinding wheel and have noticed the same, that there is a lot of steel dust/filings left on the bench after sharpening. So I have the same questions as Baxter does.

Reed Gray
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I have been pondering that as well (Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering? Hope there are some Animaniac fans out there). There does seem to be a lot more steel on the bench. I haven't used the AO wheels in so long, I can't remember about dust and metal. With my old matrix CBN wheels, there seemed to be almost no dust or steel, though oxidation spots on my bowls would tell of metal dust. I do have a tendency to push on my tools when sharpening, and for the last week or two have been using the kiss technique as in just kiss the bevel rather than push, except for scrapers where I want a good burr. That for sure would make them last longer. The edges are getting cleaner, and the face of the bevel is now as shiny as the top of my head.

I do have one friend who has his technique on his small myrtle bowls down to the point where he can tell relative humidity by how the wood cuts, well almost, but he knows exactly how many bowls he can get from the different steels and different gouges he can get before they need to be resharpened. He said that the edge from the CBN wheels doesn't seem to last as long as the one he gets from his other wheels. He figures it might be because of the coarser surface. I told him that my wheels are now broken in, and the bevel is very shiny where when new, the surface was more like a matt finish. Still pondering that one. I was talking to a Tormek rep, and was told that a more serrated edge has more teeth exposed and that will wear down more quickly than a smoother edge. Guess I need to spend more time with a Tormek edge, but I am not as sensitive to gouge cuts as I use scrapers for all the heavy work.

More pondering........

robo hippy