PDA

View Full Version : My weekend with David Marks

Jim Hinze
03-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Warning: This post will ramble because I can't put together a coherient thought on my weekend... it was that awesome!!!

If anyone is considering taking a class with him, stop considering and sign up. It was the best time and money I've ever spent...

Let me first say that David and his wife are the kindest, most down to earth folks you could ever imagine. In the two days I was out there I learned a ton. We focused on the double bevel marquentry and cutting vaneers... put it to practical use on a project I had in mind.

He cheked out the hand plane I built before I went out there, other than the mouth being a bit too open, he said it was good.

The wood shed -- Wow... Figured real mahagony... wow! New favorite wood -- blue gum eucalyptus -- wow... highly figured exotic woods -- wow!

His shop -- Incredible.. including the MinMax 36 bandsaw, which is a monstor. The table is larger than a tablesaw table.

Everything you see on the show with some minor exceptions are either in the shop or in the house, it's all incredible work... even more so close up.

The wealth of knowledge is astounding.

We went to the local woodcraft for some supplies on Sunday... let me just say that our local woodcraft is pathetic compared to what's in Santa Rosa.

Originally the plan had been to do the bandsaw setup, vaneer work, and marquetry on day 1, then day 2 would be unclamp, scrape, prep sample, then bowl turning... It didn't work out that way but I think I got a much better experience with how it went.

We took our time choosing wood, choosing the inlay pattern, discussing wood working and the projects I had done in the past, tips on wood movement, plane making, etc. Then getting in to the vaneer sawing, really learning how and why -- Brad very similar to your way's but much more in depth.

Got a lot of table saw/jointer/planer technique info, safety info, etc that was awesome... basics that I had never learned nor considered.

Tips on book matching, working with really weird highly figured woods... that blue gum eucalyptus is awesome... then getting in to the marquetry at the end of day 1...

day 2 spent finishing up the marquetry, visit to wood craft... I really took my time on the scroll saw to ensure it came out perfect. We even got a chance to fix some screw up's I made in the inlay --> so not only did I get good tips on how to do it, but awesome disaster recovery techniques. Basically my panel got in the vacuum press sunday night at 9pm or so...

But the time spent inbetween cutting, etc discussing technique, general q&a, etc was priceless. It was the best 2 days I have ever spent away from my family... and that was the most difficult part.

Marquetry I beleive has become a FAVORITE technique... endless possibilities... I have a thousand ideas and applications that I want to try now...

Note to self: Gotta order a vacuum pump and drum sander.

Ok, now for some pictures:

Some pic's of the shop...

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/djm_shop1.jpg

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/djm_shop2.jpg

The wood shed...

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/djm_woodshed.jpg

Me working on some of the stuff:

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/jim_tablesaw.jpg

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/jim_jointer.jpg

Bookmatched blue gum eucalyptus"
http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/bookmatched_bluegum.jpg

My marquentry project:

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/jim_prj_full2.jpg

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/jim_proj_full1.jpg

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/jim_proj_close1.jpg

The MinMax 36 plus me holding up one of David's structures, a huge sphere from redwood...

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/djmtrip/djm_jim_mm36.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
03-08-2005, 1:03 PM
Jim,

Wow is all I can say! Looks like you had yourself a wonderful time out there! I would really love to be able to spend some time with Mr Marks. It is on my Christmas list from LOML and my parents :)

Congrats on the time well spent, looks like you produced a great peice!

Chris Lee
03-08-2005, 1:13 PM
You are very lucky! I can only imagine how much fun that had to be. Post more pics if you have them. My wife is trying to drag me out to California to visit her distant reletive, I told her the only way I am going to go is if I get to go spend a day or two with David Marks! I have yet to tell her that it's $500 a day!:eek: I think a weekend is the way to go. I am sure you could have spent a lot more time there!

Chris

Jim Becker
03-08-2005, 1:29 PM
Looks like you had a great time, Jim!! I had the pleasure of meeting David last summer at the AAW Symposium in Orlando...he's very warm and approachable and a great artist. I'm glad you had the chance to spend time with him in the shop and yes, the investment will pay off, I believe, in your own work.

'Nice to see David's shop in its "natural state", too... ;)

Jim Barrett
03-08-2005, 1:34 PM
Jim,

Excellent! I knew you would have a great time! He is really a great guy! Last summer when I was out there he just received his MM 36. I am heading out to his studio the week after next!

Jim

Jim Dunn
03-08-2005, 2:04 PM
Jim I am so jealous:) Good for you!! Looks like you had a good, no make that a great, time. I am with Jim Becker on the state of the shop. Looks like it's used and not just a show piece. Bet the TV producers use a lot of people to clean up the shop before each shot in the show;).
Do I denote an ink blot on his right arm? That make him more down to earth to me than the state of his shop.
Did his wife serve lunch? How about some of that California wine??
The smile on your face tells the whole story! Does Mr. Marks ever take the time to peruse any of the web sites such as the Creek?

Now I'm rambling:) I'm so happy that you got the chance to visit.

Jim

Michael Ballent
03-08-2005, 2:18 PM
What exactly is he going to use that monster BS for? I mean that thing is HUGE

Darren Ford
03-08-2005, 2:33 PM
Next member that goes to see David Marks needs to wear an SMC cap. Maybe get DJM to wear one in the picture.

Jim Barrett
03-08-2005, 2:38 PM
Next member that goes to see David Marks needs to wear an SMC cap. Maybe get DJM to wear one in the picture.
I will be heading to his studio a week from Thursday. How do I get a couple of hats?

Jim

John Hulett
03-08-2005, 2:41 PM
I saw that David Marks is going to be at the TWS WW show in Pamona, CA at the end of April. I had planned on signing up for at least one of the seminars...

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/index.php?eventName=Pomona&pageName=Seminar_Schedule

Jim Hinze
03-08-2005, 3:06 PM
Jim,

Excellent! I knew you would have a great time! He is really a great guy! Last summer when I was out there he just received his MM 36. I am heading out to his studio the week after next!

Jim

Jim,

I thought I recognized a name on his calendar. Make sure you check out that redwood sphere, it's awesome!!!

Jim Hinze
03-08-2005, 3:09 PM
Bet the TV producers use a lot of people to clean up the shop before each shot in the show;).

Yes they do/did... Dave mentioned that they used to clean a ton to get it "presentable".

Do I denote an ink blot on his right arm? That make him more down to earth to me than the state of his shop.

Yes it is... it's pretty cool David is very grounded, very humble. One helluv a nice guy.

Did his wife serve lunch? How about some of that California wine??
The smile on your face tells the whole story! Does Mr. Marks ever take the time to peruse any of the web sites such as the Creek?

Lunch yes, great food from a local deli. Wine, no... no mixing shop and alcohol. Mr. Marks does from time to time checkout the various sites, the creek and wood central.

Now I'm rambling:) I'm so happy that you got the chance to visit.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim Hinze
03-08-2005, 3:15 PM
What exactly is he going to use that monster BS for? I mean that thing is HUGE

Monster turning blanks... :eek: That sphere I'm holding up WAS 400+ lbs prior to it going on the lathe.

The size of that BS is incredible... the cast iron table is bigger than the table on his unisaw.

Jim Hinze
03-08-2005, 3:17 PM
Jim B, Chris, Jeff... thanks and yes awesome time. Never had more fun in my life. I'm hoping my work will benefit.. I know that if I retain a tenth of what I learned that it will for sure...

Alan Mikkelsen
03-08-2005, 3:32 PM
Woodworks with David Marks is the only wood show I watch on TV. I really get a kick out of that jointer each time I see it in action.

Darren Ford
03-08-2005, 4:05 PM
I have a question about your project Jim. I thought the marquetry piece was really neat. Have you been doing alot of marquetry? Don't tell us you went there a beginner!

Also,
Does he even have a CMS in his shop? I've often wondered why he cuts everything on the crosscut sled, even the narrow stock. Is it to save setup time for another camera shot?

Michael Perata
03-08-2005, 4:14 PM
I was in David's shop last summer with Jim Barrett. He didn't have the MM36 running at the time, but what a machine. He will be using it to cut large bowl material.

Jim Hinze's comment about David's personality and he and his wife Victoria's hospitality is right on.

Jim Hinze
03-08-2005, 4:19 PM
I have a question about your project Jim. I thought the marquetry piece was really neat. Have you been doing alot of marquetry? Don't tell us you went there a beginner!

Darrenn thanks for the complement but sorry, this was my first time doing marquetry, in fact my first time on the scroll saw... other than basic shapes. I have only been wood working for about 2 years or so....

Does he even have a CMS in his shop? I've often wondered why he cuts everything on the crosscut sled, even the narrow stock. Is it to save setup time for another camera shot?

Yes he does have a CMS, delta 12". He does use it (I did to to lop of a 12" piece of rough stock. From what I do gather, he uses the cross cut sled mostly...

RichMagnone
03-08-2005, 5:38 PM
I saw your second picture and said to myself "wow, David uses that tiny little jointer... gee whiz, he's just like me!" When I got to the fifth picture, I said "oh, I guess not like me..."

Byron Trantham
03-08-2005, 6:34 PM
Boy that band saw is a monster! Did you notice the blade? Looks like a 1/2". Seems like it would tend to deflect over a span that large. Hum. :rolleyes:

Darren Ford
03-08-2005, 7:21 PM
Darrenn thanks for the complement but sorry, this was my first time doing marquetry, in fact my first time on the scroll saw... other than basic shapes. I have only been wood working for about 2 years or so....
Really, really nice. I know I say that alot, but I mean it no less. Can't wait to see some of the work you turn out.

Hey, was David about to goose you under the arm while you were holding that sphere ?

George Summers
03-08-2005, 10:12 PM

Jim

If you notice on the TV show he always wears long sleeved shirts. Producers' requirement, tats may turn some people off.

George

Bill Lewis
03-09-2005, 6:22 AM
If you notice on the TV show he always wears long sleeved shirts. Producers' requirement, tats may turn some people off.

George
How funny, I made the exact same observation.

I remember when DJM's show first started airing, most thought he was too "dry". Could've just been nerves with TV and all. He has since lightened up a bit more, it really showed when he did his shop tour episode. I think that picture (with Jim) tells me more about his "real" personality than any of the shows have. Good to see.