PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Hollow Sphere

Dale Miner
12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
This is a photo of a hollow sphere that was done a couple of years ago.

The sphere is about 7" diameter. It sets on three stainless pins that project from the base 1", and the bowl section of the base has a 4.5" radius. The sphere is Bradford Pear, 3/16" wall, the base is Ash, painted and textured.

The sphere was roughed endgrain leaving the equator a bit fat to allow for shrinkage. Once dry, turned using templates while chucked on the tenon. The tenon was reduced to a nub, and the sphere shape was trued up using the cup jam chuck multi center shadow line method.

I've given this piece the title "Perspective". The sphere being supported on the three pins can be positioned at any location, and as the opening position changes, the perspective changes with the position.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Baxter Smith
12-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Looks round to me! I like the contrast of the stand and the 3 pins with the pear. I can see how rotating the sphere could really change the look.

Kathy Marshall
12-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Really nice sphere Dale! Looks about as round as you can get and I like how you've displayed it.

John Keeton
12-08-2011, 5:56 AM
Great contrast in color, texture, and form (angular vs. round), Dale, and a wonderful job turning the sphere. I am intrigued by the base nearly as much as the sphere. Lot of thought and planning put into the design.

Dale Miner
12-08-2011, 7:30 AM
Thanks John.

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Dale that is a really nice sphere. I like the contrast of the base and just gives the sphere a nice lift.

Scott Hackler
12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
That is really cool. Not just for the sphere accomplishment, but the base as well. That treament really adds to the whole piece. You guys are killing me with these perfect spheres!

Harvey Ghesser
12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Nice work, Dale!...not a simple endeavor.

David DeCristoforo
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM
The sphere is awesome and looks to be about as perfect as it could be.

John W Dixon
12-08-2011, 4:15 PM
Work like this is why I come to the creek. Very cool.