PDA

View Full Version : Question for 14" impeller ClearVue owners....

Thomas Marr
12-07-2011, 9:25 PM
I have one of the original 14" ClearVue Cyclones that's never been installed. I have 6" supply piping installed and am getting ready to put up the cyclone. For those with 14" impellers, do you get enough suction for your needs?

It would be nice to have a LH cyclone for my location, rather than the RH I have now. Also, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the 15" impeller to increase suction (I could sell my current system and recover some of the expense). However, if the 14" system is sufficient, I'll just install the unit I have now and save the money for something else.

Bob Wingard
12-07-2011, 9:34 PM
If you're going to only use one machine at a time ... go ahead and put it up. I doubt you'll ever know the difference.

Mike Cruz
12-07-2011, 9:46 PM
Thomas, I have the 14" impeller on my ClearVue. With the filters, it pulls 1500 cfm. My Grizzly claimed 1800 cfm with only 3 hp and a 12" impeller...not sure how. Anyway, I'm confident that the CV pulls as much or more cfm than my Grizzly. Is it enough? What is enough? I would love to have an 18" impeller. But the reality is, that would be overkill with an 6" pipe. Unless I was going to upgrade my piping to 8", I think it would be a waste. As Bob said, if you are only running one machine at a time, put it up. Also, if you are using 4" ports on your machines, I don't think the 15" impeller would do you any better...

David Kumm
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
There is more to cfm than just impeller diameter. Depth of blades, number and whether or not straight or backward inclined. If you run a 6" main you will get little benefit from a 15" impeller. I don't know what motor you have but the 15 or 16" needs a 5 hp and should have 7 or 8" mains. The distance you are running and the number of bends will determine if you need more. Fairly short runs of 20' should be fine, longer if only one elbow. It is hard to know without testing with an anemometer but I'm inclined to think you are not going to improve things with just an impeller upgrade. If the 6" is in place keep what you have. Dave

Thomas Marr
12-08-2011, 9:05 AM
Thanks guys. I'm a hobbyist and only run one machine at a time. I have 6" pipe in place under my slab. So, it's "set in concrete" literally. I probably won't use filters because I can easily exhaust to the exterior.

When dealing with issues like this, it's really hard to make a "perfect decision." As David mentioned, it's complicated with a lot of factors affecting the result. It probably makes more sense to focus my attention on better collection of dust at the source (larger ports, hoods, etc...) than worrying about absolute maximum CFM's.

Mike Cruz
12-08-2011, 9:22 AM
Thomas, based on what you just said, you'll be fine with the one you have.