PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw X3 problem - CDR File crashed - lost file

Tim Earling
12-07-2011, 2:03 PM
I am having a problem trying to open a CDR file that I think crashed. This is the 2nd time it has happened with different files.

The file still shows up in my external drive but has an icon next to it which it did not have before (a green pencil, like the icon in my program files for CorelDraw X3). When I click on it, it opens up in corel but as a blank page. Did I loose this file or can I some how recover it?

Thanks

Martin Boekers
12-07-2011, 2:08 PM
Do a search on recovery software. Most have trial that you can see if it works.

matthew knott
12-07-2011, 2:24 PM
What size is the file, if its very small then the odds are there nothing in it and your screwed, also try setting the view to simple outline and zooming right! also check the layer manager to see if you have any layers set to invisible.
might be worth sticking the file on here and maybe someone else can get it to open

Tim Earling
12-07-2011, 2:53 PM
Thanks all for your help. Still no luck.
The size of the file is 10,543KB - tried to upload it but I think it is too big. Not sure if this is what I should be doing, but I store all my corel files on a remote Seagate harddrive. I have lost three files so far. Each one is still in the harddrive but all three when opened, bring up a blank page - is it common for a crashed file to remain on your harddrive?

Martin Boekers
12-07-2011, 3:19 PM
Corel may have a backup file on that saved. PM me and I'll try out the PDF Fusion I just got in and see if that opens it

Richard Rumancik
12-07-2011, 7:48 PM
This might not help with your current problem but do you have an auto-backup configured? It is located at Tools->options -> (workspace) -> Save. You can set the elapsed time between backups (eg 10 minutes) as well as the destination folder. If you actually have it set you could look in the destination folder and see if there is a backup there. If not, consider setting it up for future use. You can also set it to make a backup upon saving the file.

There is something corrupted with the file as it has been saved that Corel won't open it. Maybe there is a chance that another software that can import CorelDraw files might overlook the glitch and try to import the rest. Depends on what part of the file is corrupted.

Mike Null
12-08-2011, 9:22 AM
Richard

It's been my experience that such files are not lost though--what do you think?

Martin Boekers
12-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Mike I know someone from Corel is on the forum maybe he can shed light on corrupted files.
I couldn't get it to open, even as a blank page. Got a message saying bad data.

Mark Ross
12-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Like it has been mentioned, turn on the autobackup feature. I use it in all my programs if the option is available. Some CAD programs I use allow 10 backups deep. It "wastes" hard drive space but it can also save you big time.

Richard Rumancik
12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Richard It's been my experience that such files are not lost though--what do you think?

I have never had a corrupted file in the backup folder - what I gather is that Corel is generally saving a "good" copy to the backup folder and when you crash it may be holding the bad copy in the current folder. I don't know what the Corel defaults for backups are out-of-the-box but I set it to save every 10 minutes. I suggested he look for the backup first; if auto-backup is turned off and all he has is the corrupted file then maybe it can be massaged into readable form.

Tim Earling
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks again for the advice. I turned off my auto back up because it would back often and always create a new back copy. I had about 10 copies of one file it took up too much room on my drive. That is why I turned it off. I am going to turn it back on and will manage my files better. I did not think I would loose files like this.
Not sure why it happened, but I recently got a new router and every now and it crashes and I need to restart it. I don't think this would have anything to do with loosing my corel files, but it did not happen when I had my old router.

George M. Perzel
12-08-2011, 2:47 PM
Hi Tim;
When corel crashes, any open files are automatically saved in the following location:
c:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temp\cor1.cdr.
Why they put it there and not somewhere more easily retrieveable is beyond me-
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts