PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Help Needed

greg lindsey
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
:o I am looking for some artistic help! Somehow I got talked into (by a friend) to engrave a wood plaque, well, it's not really a plaque but a pc of plywood that has been beveled and stained with a red oak stain. It's an enviromental org and they recycle everything. Anyhow, they are giving this "plaque" to someone as an award and I don't do awards so I'm kinda challanged as to what font and to the proper sizing I should use. Somebody throw me a bone, and take a look to see what you would do. I'm tired of looking through hundreds of fonts trying to see what looks good.
TIA.215063

Mike Null
12-07-2011, 3:05 PM
Greg

first, every line needs to be centered. Consider all caps for the name or upper and lower caps. (I usually make the name a larger font size than the rest of the plaque)I would make an extra line of the location. Your font is fine--pick a half dozen fonts of different styles that you like and keep the list handy. It's a waste of time to go through so many fonts.

Liesl Dexheimer
12-07-2011, 3:06 PM
Could you try reattaching the file? For some reason it isn't opening up anything for me.

Frank Corker
12-07-2011, 5:09 PM
Not much on the file other than what has to go on it. Here it is in v12 upwards

Liesl Dexheimer
12-08-2011, 8:26 AM
I agree with Greg (centered text, name should stand out). It's always important to show a level of hierarchy. It definitely helps to have a small list of what you consider your top list of fonts. I usually like Sabon, Garamond & Caslon to name a few serif typefaces (these also look good in italics, not quite script but gives the text some extra pop when needed, sometimes using old style figures helps for dates as well).

Jeff Belany
12-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Not much to do but change some fonts. Lots of nice ones out there. I picked a couple. Vary the size to give some emphasis to the name. Add a border. Not enough info to do any more.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Stephen Kane
12-08-2011, 11:06 AM
My effort would look be along lines of attached. Basically what everyone else is saying - I usually use a gaelic font (probably not particularly appropriate in this case:)) for surnames/placenames where appropriate. Change layout a bit and most importantly get customer to sign off before you engrave.