PDA

View Full Version : Can you cut Phenolic sheet on a laser cutter?

Eric Ucci
12-07-2011, 9:50 AM
Does anyone have experience with this material?
Heres an example

http://www.mcmaster.com/#phenolic-sheets/=f9cgl7

Thanks
Eric

Joe Hillmann
12-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I have never tried cutting it but pool balls that I engrave are made of phenolic resin and it engraves very nicely. If no one else has a better answer for you I will throw one in later today and try vector cutting it to see what happens.

Scott Shepherd
12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
The laser doesn't like it too much. You can do it, but it's not easy, it chars, etc. It's not an ideal material for the laser by any means, but you can limp through a job or two if you had to.

Mike Null
12-07-2011, 2:54 PM
Engraving is a little more difficult than engravers plastic but as Steve said, charring is a major issue when cutting--enough that I don't do it.

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2011, 8:13 PM
The laser doesn't like it too much. You can do it, but it's not easy, it chars, etc. It's not an ideal material for the laser by any means, but you can limp through a job or two if you had to.
I agree, I have actually done quite a bit but the edges are a little rough and take a couple of swipes with sandpaper when done.
Cutting it mounted onto 1/4" acrylic takes two passes but after that it's usually pretty smooth. Apparently the second pass to get through the acrylic smooths off the phenolic.

Mark Sipes
12-07-2011, 11:46 PM
What project are you working on that requires true phenolic material. I only ask because "phenolic" is a catch all used by electricans who just want a plastic plate........... Lamacoid is another........