PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Home Position

Peter Meacham
12-07-2011, 8:09 AM
Anyone know if a Trotec home position can be changed temporarily?

I have an item with tall sides (a wine barrel head) and I need to make the home position in the center of the item so the laser head does not go back to the factory home position because it would hit the side of the item.

Or, would a longer lens, say a 3" or 4" lens allow me to clear the sides of a taller item? I currently have a 2" lens.

Gary Hair
12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
My GCC laser has a setting "without home" for the end of the job, perhaps your trotec has the same thing? All it does is run the job and wherever the head is when the job is done, it stays put right there.

Gary

Michael Kowalczyk
12-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey Peter,
I use a 4" lens for those type of situations. Just remember your spot size is larger and power intensity drops a bit. There is a way to adjust your home in the options menu but I am not sure if you can go that far away from the original.

There is also a way to adjust your "Z" height in your material settings. Try a dry run with nothing on the table to see how it works.

Good question to ask Scott or Brett at Trotec. Give them a call.

Mike Null
12-07-2011, 2:48 PM
Pete

Go to the driver settings and select hardware then follow the picture.

I usually leave mine at this setting due to some of the jobs I run singles on in a jig.

Mark Sipes
12-07-2011, 9:23 PM
I have a Trotec Speedy 25w. I am unable to reset the home position to the middle of the page since the head must travel to the X&Y stops to know where the software says the job is located. I can position the job any where on the bed 17 x 29 but the head travels to 0.0 0.0 to get a reference home location Before and after job start.

Peter Meacham
12-08-2011, 8:06 AM
Mark, I think we have the same older Trotec engraver and my situation is the same as yours regarding home position.

I (we) don't have the newer software that allows changes as Mike Null is showing above.

I might see how much a 3" or 4" lens will cost, but I don't want to lose detail, which sounds like what happens if you use a longer lens.

Mike Null
12-08-2011, 9:19 AM
Pete
There are two versions of the software that I know of. The one that comes with the Speedy 300 is a terrific driver and may be available as an upgrade.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey Guys,
Spoke with Scott and Brett Yesterday and asked them about this and Mike Null's post is correct. Not sure where that option started but if you don't have the latest Job control you are missing quite a bit of time saving functions. The most notable, for me, is the job time estimate function. it is with in seconds of being accurate and worth the upgrade on its own. So if you don't have at least 9.4.2, I would contact your sales rep and find out how to get it, IMHO.

Mike Null
12-08-2011, 4:29 PM
Michael

I was referring to a version of Job Control which didn't have some of the options found on the Speedy 300 version. Mine had this feature when I bought it 6 years ago.

Paul Grothouse
12-08-2011, 9:00 PM
Why not just change the engaving file so the engraving does not require passing over the thick part when it homes. i.e. turn it 180 degrees

Mark Sipes
12-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Ref lens cost .. I had to replace my 2" lens and it ran $225 or so........ I'm sure the 3"/4" would be the same.....

My Job Control Version is 6.3.2 with 5.15 Driver for XP and driver 5.14 for Win 98SE

Mark Sipes
12-10-2011, 8:30 PM
I am working on your problem but need to stop by the shop to see if theory will work in the real world. we need to fool the head making it think it has reached Home by tripping the limit switchs " with in" the engraving safe zone......... not sure what happens after the job has run.......... On the rotary engraver I would place a character/letter away from the "good" engraving where I could Pause the job and stop the head from moving to table home after the job has finished..

Am I making sense??