PDA

View Full Version : Bowl steady finally done

John M. Smith
12-06-2011, 9:57 PM
I built a bowl steady last year and wound up selling it to a fellow club member. Started designing a new one and finally got it finished.

I used 1/2" plate for the base. Bored for two 1/2" button head cap screws. 1/4" plate welded under the base plate to fit between the ways to keep it square to the lathe. I used 1/2" plate with a 1/4" piece welded on and bored and tapped for 1/2" bolts to go under the ways as a clamp block.

The ring is 1.25" square tubing with 1/8" wall roll formed to 20" diameter. I then cut the bottom off and welded onto base plate. Arms are 1" square tubing fit into more 1.25" square tubing that has a nut welded on for tightening and then this assembly was welded onto ring.

Several coats of primer, and three coats of paint, all wet sanded in between. Better finish than on my lathe. LOL.

Steve Vaughan
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
WOW! You inspire me to give it a shot, and I think I will once I collect a bit of material. It'll give me a good project to try out my new Hobart MIG welder! Did you roll that tubing or did you get a business to do that for you? Very nice looking piece there!

Dick Wilson
12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi John, I'll take one of those. Can your have it for me at the meeting on Saturday?:) You don't have to use the mustard color. Nice job.

John M. Smith
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Steve- I cheated on the rolling as we have a metal fab area where I work.

Dick- Don't think I'll be making any more of these (at least not til a bigger lathe comes along)

Baxter Smith
12-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Really nice unit. Really nice work.

Sid Matheny
12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Very nice rig!!! You get an A+ from me.

Sid

Bill Wyko
12-07-2011, 12:32 AM
I have a Keith Clark system on the lathe at home but I may have to knock that off for the lathe at work. You know what they say "Immitation is the ultimate form of flattery" Excellent job.

Joe Watson
12-07-2011, 1:35 AM
WOW! You inspire me to give it a shot..... It'll give me a good project to try out my new Hobart MIG welder! ....hahaha... the same exact thought whent through my head, but i have a few bench grinder jigs and tool rests before i try something like this (just picked up a Hobart "Hander 140" (first welder for me, only dabbled with Tig welding at work)).

Really nice job on the steady rest, it looks great... and also thanks for the short explanation on how you constructed it.

_

_

John Keeton
12-07-2011, 7:25 AM
Very clean work, John!! Sounds and looks like you put a lot of thought and planning into this one.