PDA

View Full Version : Dining Table - WIP (Picture Heavy)

Chad Easterling
12-06-2011, 8:39 PM
Thought I would share some pictures of the dining table I have been working on since I have asked so many finishing questions related to it in the project finishing forum. The "concept" is from a table my wife likes at Pottery Barn. The wood is distressed using saw kerfs, planing, hand saws, wood rasps, etc.

This is the frame of the table top. It is laminated 2x material, assembled using mortise and tenon joinery.

The ends are "fake" breadboards built up using laminated materials wrapped in 1/2" and 3/4" solid wood. They are attached using lag screws. Eventually, these screws will be distressed and aged as well.

Here's the top just laying on top of the frame for now. It is edge-glued solid material. Each board is a different width and is individually distressed prior to glue-up.

And finally, the legs. Each leg is laminated solid lumber. Joinery is mortise and tenon. The legs sit at a 5 degree angle.

The finish will be a multi-step process including dye, gel stains, shellac and a final finish I haven't decided on yet.

Thanks!

rob durfos
12-15-2011, 9:14 PM
It is a little difficult to see the distress you applied in the photos. It will be interesting to see your lay-up process and final finish. Keep at it !

Mike Wilkins
12-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Interesting method for the table top, but looks good. What kind of bike is that in the background.

Chad Easterling
12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Interesting method for the table top, but looks good. What kind of bike is that in the background.

The bikes are a Yamaha FZ6 (mine) and a Honda Rebel 250 (DW's).

Chad Easterling
12-19-2011, 12:39 PM
It is a little difficult to see the distress you applied in the photos. It will be interesting to see your lay-up process and final finish. Keep at it !

Check out this thread for the details- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?177576-Dining-Table-Finished