PDA

View Full Version : Hand Screw Driver Recommendations

Jim Eller
12-06-2011, 7:41 PM
Not sure I've got this request in the right place, but here goes.

I have seached for twenty minutes but got nowhere on the subject.

This all started yesterday when I was trying to put some #2 and #4 brass screws into some small hinges(yes the holes were predrilled). I go to the tool box and there is a whole drawer of every type of screw drive anyone could want. I needed slotted and phillips. To make a long story short, none of them really fit anymore and it time to replace them. I'm tired of twisting the screw the final little bit and ruining the head of the screw because the driver doesn't fit well.

So my question is, what are the recommendations for a good set of phillips and slot headed drivers??

Thanks,
JimE

Richard Wolf
12-06-2011, 7:46 PM
Sears and Craftsman is a great place for whose kinds of tools.

Jim Hill
12-06-2011, 9:17 PM
I picked up a set of small phillips and slot head from WIHA. I've been very pleased. You can see them on Amazon, but I ordered direct from WIHA USA. By the way, WIHA has monthly web specials and this month they also have extra specials on Monday. No affilation, other than being a satisfied customer.

Jim

Aaron Berk
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I have this one in green. AND LOVE IT :D

It has proven itself to be the BEST driver I've ever purchased (to date)
The handle tilts for left or right hand use, or straight for standard style driving.
There is a tremendous amount of torque and control available with this driver.

I'm sure there are other brands (gearwrench comes to mind) that also produce one like this.

As a side note, I also have longer extensions for it, and can drive sockets as well. Oh and it ratchets or locks solid.

Peter Kelly
12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Wera Kraftform from Chad's Toolbox http://chadstoolbox.com/kraftformplus.aspx

The Japanese-made ones from Lee Valley are real nice too: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32208&cat=1,43411,43417&ap=1

Jerry Bruette
12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Klein makes some pretty good screw drivers. I abuse them everyday at work and wouldn't have any other brand.

Shawn Russell
12-07-2011, 3:47 AM
+ on both Wera and Wiha. I have a few of the Wera and they are just excellent tools with great ergonomics. I bought my brother a set of Wiha and is equally satisfied with their quality. Woodcraft and Amazon carry Werra, Wiha is amazon only.

Chris Tsutsui
12-07-2011, 5:08 AM
+1 for Klein. I think a set of 7 was like $42 at the big box store.

I also don't mind craftsman professional. I only have 2 snap-on screw drivers and they sort of seem overpriced for what they are.

It will be cheaper if u buy a ratcheting screw driver and can replace a bunch of bits. I have a kobalt one, craftsman, and gear wrench and they're fine. If a tip wears out, just replace it.

Larry Edgerton
12-07-2011, 5:32 AM
I bought a full SnapOn set many years ago and they have served me well. The tips are a seperate piece of hardened material, the handles fit my hand well and on one occasion where I did manage to break one doing something I was not supposed to, they replaced it no questions asked. I have others, but if I am finding they do not fit so well, I go to the tool box for the SnapOn drivers.

Matco and Mac have nice sets as well, and although I don't have any of their screwdrivers I have other tools of theirs that are of the same kind of quality.

Larry

John Lanciani
12-07-2011, 6:35 AM
Another vote for Klein. Even though they sell them at Home Dumpo now they don't seem to be cutting back on the quality. I have some that are 20 years old that are used every day and they've held up well.

Mike Cutler
12-07-2011, 7:17 AM
Jim

Small screws, like you are describing, are always problematic, and don't take much torque to break them off.
I have lots of screwdrivers, from cheap Home Depot quality to Snap Ons, but for screws like that I use a Chapman Kit ( Gun Tool Kit). The Chapman handle gets you closer to the screw itself for a more positive feel of torque being applied.
Hopefully they're still made in Durham, and not China.

Another solution is to get a set of Gimlets. Those brass screws look fantastic, but they do break pretty easily.

Jim Matthews
12-07-2011, 7:17 AM
I bought this wood handle set (http://www.garrettwade.com/german-pro-screwdriver-set/p/13G07.01/) from Garrett Wade, ten years ago.
The tips have not deformed (they're case hardened and heavily chrome plated) with a handy hex ferrule for extra torque.

I like the feel of wood, not plastic.

Scott T Smith
12-07-2011, 7:44 AM
Jim, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I own screwdrivers from every company listed thus far (plus a few others) except the Garrett Wade and Wera products. The Sears and Craftsman drivers are fine for basic use, but your post indicates that you may be looking for something a bit nicer.

WIHA makes some truly outstanding screwdrivers, allen, torx, etc products that are usually a step above the industry, especially in the small sizes.

Klein's products are solid for day in, day out trademan type use.

Chapman's products work well for precise needs where you need to vary the bit size, and the little ratchet is nice, but for daily use it is a bit cumbersome to be changing the bits all the time. Another great (IMO higher quality and precision) mini-ratchet alternative to the Chapman set is one made by WFMC in Rockfall, Ct.

However, my personal favorite for day-in, day-out use is the Snap-On model that Aaron posted. It is the most comfortable of the lot (much better than my straight handle Snap-on ratcheting driver), and the way that the handle can be shaped helps keep your hands from cramping up when you drive multiple screws. I have really appreciate this design as my hands don't grip the same at 51 as they did when I was 20.

Couple the Snap-on handle with a high quality bit set (such as from Wiha), and you've got the best combination of comfort, functionality and bit quality, IMO.

lowell holmes
12-07-2011, 7:49 AM
I have an inexpensive set of cabinetmakers screwdrivers for slotted screws.

Tools for Working Wood has a more expensive set.

ian maybury
12-07-2011, 8:42 AM
Hi Jim. I can agree with the sentiment, but still have to find a reliable maker - albeit I haven't tried and don't have access to the range of makers you guys in the US have. Thought I was doing the right thing early this year by paying out quit a lot to buy set of straight and Pozi drivers in standard and long lengths earlier this year by King Tony http://www.kingtony.com/home.asp - sold over here as a high end tool.

No luck. The heavy use no.2 pozi has had about the same use as a cheap ROK electrical screwdriver (both used on fitting out my workshop) in the same size - yet it failed first with excess wear on the head.

The situation is much the same with bits for power drivers. Ditto for stuff like drills and jigsaw blades - the heat treatment and/or metallurgy tends not to be consistent.

Not much good for screwdrivers, but relatively ordinary carded Bosch stuff is as good as anything I've found so far - decent quality and consistent...

ian

Rod Sheridan
12-07-2011, 9:04 AM
Another vote for Klein screwdrivers....................Regards, Rod.

Ole Anderson
12-07-2011, 9:08 AM
My go-to screwdrivers are the ones that have good sized rubber handles and a like new tip. And it is amazing how many homeowners try to use a #1 phillips bit in a #2 screw and don't know why it won't fit properly. I have Klein in my garage and Farmington Forge in the shop at this time, but I like the 10 in 1 type with the flip bits also and they have a built in 1/4" and 5/16" socket driver. And of course, my trusty 40 year old set of Craftsman screwdrivers is always on call, although many are missing, I suspect they made a getaway under the closed hood of one of my cars.

David Hostetler
12-07-2011, 10:13 AM
For stuff that matters, I have an old set of Snap On screwdrivers that I bought when I was working as a mechanic in my early 20s. Those things still grab like new... For sloppier work, I have a 10 piece set from Stanley that does the job...

Dan Clark
12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
+1 Wera and Wiha. Wera especially makes almost every kind of screwdriver imaginable for virtually all crew heads in a VERY wide array of sizes. I have a set of Wera drives and am very happy with them. I have this set plus about 10 other odd sized Weras: http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftform-Lasertip-Professional-Screwdriver/dp/B0001NQQCM

Floyd Mah
12-07-2011, 2:04 PM
It could be you are using a right-handed screw driver and you are really left-handed. Actually, I've discovered that the key to driving brass screws, especially small ones, is to pre-cut the hole first with a similarly sized steel screw, especially with tight-grained woods. Also a bit of lubrication with wax would help ease the screw into position. Otherwise you might try looking at Brownells.com. They specialize in guns and repair tools. As you might guess, gunsmiths hate disfiguring screw heads with a poor screw driver.

Don Jarvie
12-07-2011, 2:08 PM
Craftsman, you breakem they give you a new one for free. Can't beat it.

Floyd just hit the nail on the head when it comes to brass screws.

Kent A Bathurst
12-07-2011, 2:40 PM
Wiha, Wera, Witte............wonder why I have all these W's???

Also - a few tried-and-true Craftsman that are 40 years old. But - the Witte have the primary spot on the tool wall......

Jim Eller
12-07-2011, 7:18 PM
WOW:eek::eek::eek:

Now let me tell ya, this was a real lesson for me. I had no idea how little I knew about screwdrivers.

I have been researching these things most of the day and I guess I'll be going with one of the W's. I didn't even know they existed before this thread.

I truly appreciate everyone's input, experiences and recommendations. Just goes to show why this is my favorite woodworking forum.

Thanks to all again,

JimE

Roy Turbett
12-07-2011, 8:08 PM
One to avoid is Stanley. I bought a set of "contractor grade" Stanley screwdrivers and the first time I used the sloted screwdriver the tip bent without damaging the screw.

bill kaminski
12-07-2011, 8:09 PM
Hi Jim... welcome to the forum...from someone who made a living working with tools... buy the best ... SNAP-ON...they are not cheap but will outlast everything else you can buy... also guaranteed for ever.

ray hampton
12-07-2011, 8:35 PM
It could be you are using a right-handed screw driver and you are really left-handed. Actually, I've discovered that the key to driving brass screws, especially small ones, is to pre-cut the hole first with a similarly sized steel screw, especially with tight-grained woods. Also a bit of lubrication with wax would help ease the screw into position. Otherwise you might try looking at Brownells.com. They specialize in guns and repair tools. As you might guess, gunsmiths hate disfiguring screw heads with a poor screw driver.

gunsmiths screwdrivers are ground to fit the screwhead [slotted screw] and if I am using hand-power drivers, I will hold the screw driver with one hand and turn with the other hand if possible

Chris Parks
12-07-2011, 9:14 PM
Hi Jim. I can agree with the sentiment, but still have to find a reliable maker - albeit I haven't tried and don't have access to the range of makers you guys in the US have.
ian

Ian in one word Stahlwille, widely available in Europe it being a German brand, Weira is a European brand as well so should also be available. Just bring your money with you as both are what most of us would call expensive. I sort of start drooling when I look at their catalogues and am going to get a water proof keyboard. Hazet is another, again German. Here is an interesting site for precision hand tools http://www.pbswisstools.com/en.html

Stew Hagerty
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I have a set of MAC Tools screwdrivers that I've had for years, and I just love them. However, recently I got tired of using a mag tip square drive so I looked around and bought a set of "Felo Ergonic" square drives that are fantastic. In fact they are good enough that I am considering replacing my trusty old MAC's.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=felo+screwdriver+set&sprefix=felo+#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=felo+ergonic&sprefix=felo+ergo&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Afelo+ergonic

ian maybury
12-08-2011, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the steer Chris. It's easy enough to source good stuff in the UK when you have a name, but here in Ireland you don't see much offered beyond the box stores. Stahlwille are not problem mail order from the UK it turns out, Swiss tools are also an option.

The guys doing Stahlwille also offer Britool which were aways a high end UK tool brand, but I've not idea if that's still the case.

ian

Richard Selwyn
12-08-2011, 3:05 PM
Ian,
I saw you mention Britool but can no longer find that post?? Anyway, when I was growing up in England they were the gold standard. I now live in France where Facom was the French equivalent. I don't know what this means for quality, but you should know that Britool, like Facom are now part of the Stanley / Dewalt group. Like others here I use wera / wiha if I can.
Regards,
Richard

Ray Newman
12-08-2011, 3:46 PM
Jim E: I would advise that you visit a few of your local tool suppliers and handle the turn screws (AKA screw drivers).
I have a set of wooden handle ones that I utilized for several years now. But over the years, age has taken its toll on my grip and I find that the Wera drivers fit my hand better, are more comfortable, and afford a better grip.

As for driving brass screws of any length or size, see what Floyd Mah posted yesterday. I found that driving and removing a steel screw a few times helps to “define” the threads in the wood better. Lubrication when doing this and seating the brass screw is best.

I keep a set of Brownell’s on my reloading bench and a small Chapman set with add-on Torx and allen heads in my shooting kit. Good drivers. Not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

ian maybury
12-08-2011, 4:11 PM
Thanks Richard, I've a sneaking feeling that like many other big brands that Britool may have been bought out and compromised...

ian

Jim Eller
12-08-2011, 5:31 PM
What model Snap-On screwdrivers are you folks referring to?

What source do you use?

I did order a starter(6 piece) set of Wera. I'll give them a try and go from there to replace the contents of the screwdriver drawer.

Once again, I appreciate everyone showing me how little I knew about a simple hand tool.

JimE

Thomas Hotchkin
12-08-2011, 5:37 PM
Jim
As Bill said try Snap On. I have a Snap On ratcheting screwdriver SCDMRC4 I use all the time. That and Apex 1/4" tips. Tom

John Coloccia
12-08-2011, 5:41 PM
Here's another vote for Wera. I have some Kleins that I like too, but my Wera are my go to drivers...and I use their little screwdrivers too.

I have a set of Craftsman screwdrivers I bought a few years back. I love all my Craftsman sockets and wrenches, so I figured their screwdrivers must be good, right? Uh, nope! They gave me more heartburn over the last 5 years than any other tool I own. The tips are made out of cream cheese....definitely much different than screwdrivers from 30 years ago.

john lampros
12-08-2011, 5:53 PM
Glad to see your going cordless. since not many people use acoustic (as opposed to electric) screwdrivers much these days, many of you might not know how to properly dress a screwdriver blade. dressed correctly you will get good bite and not mar up you screws. A trick I learned in watchmaking where if your driver slips you may have just bought a $30k movement. it pays to have a bunch honed for the many shapes and sizes of screws you use most. 4's , 6's, 8's etc.
http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0016

John Coloccia
12-08-2011, 6:05 PM
Glad to see your going cordless. since not many people use acoustic (as opposed to electric) screwdrivers much these days, many of you might not know how to properly dress a screwdriver blade. dressed correctly you will get good bite and not mar up you screws. A trick I learned in watchmaking where if your driver slips you may have just bought a $30k movement. it pays to have a bunch honed for the many shapes and sizes of screws you use most. 4's , 6's, 8's etc.
http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0016

Just what I need....another honing jig. :mad:

Jim Eller
12-08-2011, 7:17 PM
http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0016[/URL]

And I thought this was a simple hand tool you just bought and put it to work and it should do the job every time.

Thanks John and everyone. All great info.

ray hampton
12-08-2011, 8:39 PM
http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0016[/URL]

And I thought this was a simple hand tool you just bought and put it to work and it should do the job every time.

Thanks John and everyone. All great info.

It will do the job every time, until it fail

Jim Eller
12-16-2011, 9:41 PM
Follow up:

The Wera's are here. Hard to believe these things have avoided me for 68 years.

Did the same routine with the #2 slotted brass screws but with the Wera drivers and not one was marred.

Boy that was a long learning curve!

Thanks to all for the info.

JimE