PDA

View Full Version : ceramic turning tips, anyone use these.

Bill Wyko
12-06-2011, 7:27 PM
These seem kind of cool. Anyone use these.
http://mannyswoodworkersplace.com/ceretifortut.html

neil mackay
12-06-2011, 8:00 PM
Bill, Ceramic tips the edges are fragile, one bump and it will damage the edge. But the wear characteristics are exceptional, several times that of Tungsten. Probably best served to be used on hardwoods, down under they are very expensive and so not widely used. I see your prices is around $20 which is good and worth while giving them a go.
The other side to them is that sharpening would require a diamond hone 600 grit and above anything else is to severe and fractures the edge. Mostly they are throw aways. But if you have the hone the life of the cutter would be greatly extended and it would be well worth owning a few in this case.

Bill Wyko
12-06-2011, 8:04 PM
Sharpening was my concern too. Not sure it would be worth the effort over time. I don't use a tool that has a tip like this other than my Keith Clark hollower and I just don't get that much use from it.

Marty Eargle
12-06-2011, 8:11 PM
I've seen carbide cutters sharpened very easily by flipping them upside down and moving them around on a wet stone. Not sure if you could do the same with ceramic but it seems like the risk of small fractures would be something to worry about.

If it were me, I would get a set of carbide tips to get comfortable with, and then maybe a ceramic cutter strictly for finishing after that. Let us know if you do experiment with them.

Bill Wyko
12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I just ordered the Glaser QR tools so there won't be a need at this time. My tool budget is at its limit for the year. Good thing January is a new year, I get to start over.:D

Rick Markham
12-06-2011, 11:45 PM
My tool budget is at its limit for the year. Good thing January is a new year, I get to start over.:D

I like the way you think Bill :)

John M. Smith
12-07-2011, 5:39 AM
Tool budget????? What's that????????

Russell Eaton
12-07-2011, 7:44 AM
Tool budget????? What's that????????now THAT is a comment like I would make.

Bill Wyko
12-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Tool budget is when you've scoured everything you can under the seat and in between the cushions and have gone back to see if you missed anything....twice. Wait a minute,,,,,I think I know where there's a jar of change.:eek::D

Sid Matheny
12-07-2011, 7:09 PM
I used the Ceramic tips in a machine shop when they first cam out back in the late 80's. They cut really well cutting steel but as Neil said the edges are fragile and chip.

Sid