PDA

View Full Version : Older Sears 12 inch Lathe

Paul Zonneveld
12-06-2011, 7:25 PM
Know someone who is selling an older model sears 12 inch wood lathe (from the picture it looks like it has a round tube that the tool head runs on?). Would like to know from the folks here whether this is worth looking at or should I just avoid it? I should mention that the deal come with a series of gouges and tools and its selling really cheap. Any advise or input is appreciated. Sorry I don't know what the P/N of the lathe is.

Craig McCormick
12-06-2011, 7:49 PM
The lathe may be good for very light duty turning that does not require much accuracy. I would not pay more than $100 for all.

AZCRAIG

steven c newman
12-06-2011, 8:04 PM
My "take" is that the "tube" lathes were better than the other lathes Sears had then. I have the "T" rail one. 214981It doesn't do too bad214982$90 when it was new. 5 speeds, 12" by 36". I turn between centers.

Paul Steiner
12-06-2011, 9:40 PM
I have a tube lathe and it works well lots of things. I would say that it is a good medium duty lathe. It will do everything a mini of midi will do but it will give added length, mini's and midi's lathes don't have. If you are just starting out with the lathe I think the craftsman is a good choice, It is better than dropping $500 for a new mini lathe. $100 is a good price.

Terry Beadle
12-07-2011, 8:35 AM
Like Paul Steiner, I have the Craftsman tube wood lathe. I've had it for 25 years and it's still going strong. Sears no longer stocks some of the parts for the lathe so make sure if there is anything wrong with the one you are wanting to purchase, that you can order replacement parts. The parts that are available are priced reasonably. There are also many parts offered up on the bay.

As far as limits of the lathe, my lathe is limited to the 12 inches. No surprise there ! Hoot! The speed choices are some what limited but only in the slowest speeds where you might want to apply a finish. As far as the turning work is concerned, it works great. I've made bowls, spindles, tool handles, boxes, square boxes, salt boxes ( did I say boxes? ). The best thing I've done for the lathe in the years of use was a purchase of a chuck. That really opened up many new opportunities in projects and work methods.

I live in the Atlanta GA market and used lathes like mine go for about $100 or less, depending on other stuff included.

IMO it's a great starter lathe and will meet most furniture and medium project needs.

curtis rosche
12-07-2011, 10:06 AM
stay away from it unless its les than $50 . you can find a much nicer delta lathe for just over $100

Paul Zonneveld
12-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Well I have looked around and not found another used lathe for $100 or less that includes several gouges and other tools (forgot to mention that). I guess I also forgot to mention that the sears duplicator is attached as well. I am at least going to take a look at the lathe and check it out. Any suggestions on what specifically to look for on the tube style lathe?

curtis rosche
12-14-2011, 5:18 PM
where are you located? have you checked craigslist? for anything other than occasional smaller spindle turning, i feel you will always wish you had waited and bought something better.
i have a 1920's craftsman that i got for 50$ and i would take that anyday over and craftsman tube lathe.

what tools come with it? depending on brands it may be worth it for just keeping the tools

curtis rosche
12-14-2011, 5:19 PM
depending on where you are located, i have a 9 inch craftsman lathe that would work much better for you than that tube lathe, its cast iron and much sturdier. not top of the line, but better than a tube lathe. it just needs a motor