PDA

View Full Version : A short discourse on an extremely technical modification to the Jeff Nichol steady…

David DeCristoforo
12-06-2011, 5:52 PM
I love my Jeff Nichol steady. The four wheel configuration provides superb support and it is very well made and solid. There is just one problem with it. The "10 o'clock" wheel arm interferes with positioning a laser. It is only a problem when working in the area of the form where the steady is located. Every time I get to that point, I find myself wishing that there was a way to relocate the wheel arm. I have thought about making a bolt on holder and drilling another hole in the flange and welding on a tab and fifteen other possible workarounds. Then, while I was working on my hollow sphere, a light came on. I was recalling my "flatwork" days and I remembered these things that were so common in the world of boards and glue-ups called clamps. A picture may be worth a thousand words but the only one that comes immediately to mind is "Duh"!

Roger Chandler
12-06-2011, 6:41 PM
My Jeff Nicol steady has a movable [reposition-able] arm at the 10 o'clock position.........I am not sure if Jeff made an upgrade in his design some time back, but mine is able to be moved to a different position to allow for the laser on my monster rig.

Allan Ferguson
12-06-2011, 6:43 PM
How about that! Turn safe and continue making beautiful things that I love to see posted here. To bad you're so far south of here.

Alan Trout
12-06-2011, 6:49 PM
David,

When I had Jeff make mine, I requested that all wheel arms are movable so I can move any arm to any place on the the steady. I did that just for the reason you are having trouble. It works great.

Alan

David DeCristoforo
12-06-2011, 6:53 PM
"... just for the reason you are having trouble..."

You mean "was" having trouble. It's for things like this that my wife calls me a genius. But i was not a genius when I ordered my steady from Jeff! Hey... I just noticed... my steady is the wrong color!

Roger Chandler
12-06-2011, 6:56 PM
"... just for the reason you are having trouble..."

You mean "was" having trouble. It's for things like this that my wife calls me a genius. But i was not a genius when I ordered my steady from Jeff! Hey... I just noticed... my steady is the wrong color!

uh oh! Is there some of that spray paint left in the can? I've never seen a red steady!

Alan Trout
12-06-2011, 6:58 PM
Yes, Mine is the wrong color as well. But you did handle the problem just fine. :)

John Keeton
12-06-2011, 7:41 PM
Well, that was just WAY too simple!!!

Dan Forman
12-06-2011, 8:20 PM
David, the red (although a little orangish) of the clamp picks up the red of the lathe, so with the clamp in place, you don't have to paint the rest itself. It brings a sense of unity to the lathe/rest complex. All is well.

Dan

David E Keller
12-06-2011, 8:23 PM
My mod is even simpler... I just leave out one of the wheels if it gets in the way.

Tim Rinehart
12-06-2011, 9:29 PM
I discovered similar situation and did what Doc says to remove one of wheels, but leaves me uncomfortable about the lack of a roller in area where forces are being applied or where a catch could occur internally.
I'm going to modify to make adjustable roller..one of these days. Probably after I blow the first piece not using the 10:00 wheel.

David DeCristoforo
12-06-2011, 9:38 PM
"...uncomfortable about the lack of a roller in area where forces are being applied..."

That's my "fear" too. It seems to be the whole point of having a steady in the first place. With the 10 o'clock wheel take out of the equation, the form is not really restrained against the force of the cutter.

Baxter Smith
12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
"Duh" here too! Thanks!;):)

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Looks like a plan David. My Nicol steady also has the adjustable wheel at the 10 o'clock position.

Rick Markham
12-07-2011, 8:43 AM
Mine has the moveable bracket :) It looks like you could probably just get Jeff to make you a bracket and clamp it on the flange (no new holes required.) Then you can move it anywhere you want. I never would have thought of using a clamp... but then I didn't have to.

I agree, I think a red steady is called for.

David Reed
12-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Just another example of the non stop thinkin' going on inside that technical mind.
But I would have been ashamed to post without a matching steady.