PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding the words to a Christmas song I've heard...

Mike Langford
12-06-2011, 5:15 PM
I'm looking for the words to a Christmas song I've heard and I'm having no luck with Google's lyrics searches...

I don't know the name of the song or the artist (solo male singing)

Song is a couple of years old (?) but I'm just now paying it some attention and I want to learn it.

I know a few lines of the lyrics (pretty close) and I know the last verse, but can't find anything on the net!

I'm hoping someone here at the Creek is familiar with the song and can provide me with the name or artist.

The song is Country in flavor and the words and theme are as follows....

Song starts - "Once I asked a little boy. Just what Christmas day was for."

The little boy's reply is something like, it's so he can get more toys...

But the singer goes on to tell about how, long before there was Santa Claus, elves, and reindeer, etc...there was the baby Jesus.

At the end of each verse and the LAST line in the song is - HE'S THE JOYOUS REASON FOR THE SEASON! (which you would think is the name of the song but Nooooooooooooooo can't be that easy :rolleyes:)

Help me out guys!

Thanks in advance

Rich Lester
12-06-2011, 7:03 PM
Mike,

Could be "Reason For The Season" by Lonestar.
Hope that's it.

Rich

Mike Langford
12-06-2011, 7:35 PM
Thanks Rich, but nope, that's one of the titles that keeps coming up when I Google "Reason for the Season"

Although that particular phrase is like the "hook" of the song....The title is probably some obscure name like "My Christmas Goldfish Sandwich Song" :eek: ;)

Mike Langford
12-07-2011, 12:55 PM
C'mon guys....Anybody?....

I'd like to have it learn't by Friday night :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2011, 1:23 PM
Is this "cowboy" song it? http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/christmas-songs-2/reason-for-the-season-14417.html

Zach England
12-07-2011, 2:16 PM
I need help forgetting every christmas song I have ever heard.

Mike Langford
12-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Is this "cowboy" song it? http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/christmas-songs-2/reason-for-the-season-14417.html

That's not it either Ken, but thanks for trying...

Like Zach said, I too need to forget most Christmas songs...but I perform every Friday night and I have to keep the listening crowd happy this time a year with a few Christmas tunes. ;) (I've already downloaded the words to "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" :D)

The song I'm looking for is a nice tune with a great message!

Joe Angrisani
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
....(I've already downloaded the words to "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" :D)......

Oh god....please don't....not that one.

Rudy Ress
12-08-2011, 4:31 PM
Mike,
Did you recently hear it on the radio? If so call the radio station. If it is really of a country flavor, try calling one of the country stations and see if they can help.

Mike Langford
12-08-2011, 8:07 PM
Rudy,

I hear it where I work part-time (retail) over the store's intercom system....it's pre-programed Musak/DiSH Christmas music complete with ads and no D.J. telling you who's singing.

Although the same songs are played all the time in rotation...I never know when exactly when it'll play again.

Just today, I heard it start and I was up front by the service desk, and everybody and their brother was hollerin' bitin' screamin' and I couldn't hear a thing....:mad:
So I headed over to the pharmacy thinking it would be quieter over there....but their overhead speaker was turned down so low I couldn't hear a thing....:mad::mad:
I hurried down one of aisles with a speaker, and right as I got under the speaker...The sales lady in the jewelery dept. started a sales special announcement, and I couldn't hear a thing....:mad::mad::mad:
By the time she finished, I heard the last closing line (which I already know) then the pre-programed ads took over....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't know how old the song is, and I don't listen to (modern) Country anymore to know if they play it....AND since I don't know the name of the song or artist...I can't call the stations....I can't even sing it to them 'cause I don't know enough of the words they'd recognize (Google can't even find it!)

(SIGH)

John Pratt
12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
The Musak website has a playlist of everything they play. If you can find out the stores account you can get the specific playlist for your organization. Might be worth a try.

Mike Langford
12-11-2011, 11:18 PM
One last plea..........Anybody?...........artist's last name?............partial title?........Anything????!

Anyone think they know it but not sure....Please post it and I'll investigate it...

Rudy Ress
12-12-2011, 2:27 PM
Hey Mike,,
I think your best bet is trying to contact Musak. This has piqued my curiosity also. Good luck.
Rudy

Mike Langford
11-21-2013, 8:04 PM
UPDATE!!....I'm reviving this thread (note the date - Dec. 2011 :)) to say.....

…....EUREKA!! I have found it….with the help of my new friend Paco!

Paco, PM’d me last Saturday (On another forum where I had made the same request for help) and asked me if I had found the song (which I hadn’t) and provided me a link with a sound bite, and wanted to know if that was THE song (he has been searching many years to find the song also)
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=4384416&style=music
......It's Song #6....Reason for the Season

Yes!!! That was it!...I did a little research online (now that I had a CD to search info on) and found out the the song was released just on THAT CD in ’94 (didn’t realize I’d heard it that long ago) by the (then) country duo of Orrall & Wright (Robert Ellis Orrall and Curtis Blaine Wright) who are successful singers/songwriters with many hits by many well know artist…But....Nowhere on either of these guy’s discographies did I find this song mentioned! (I couldn’t find out if they wrote it together or even if they wrote it)

Anyway…needless to say I’m a happy camper and both Paco and I have bought the CD containing this song!

On a side note…In my original post on the other forum a couple of members suggested that I use Shazam or Soundhound to try and find the song.
Well, I played the sound clip to both, and neither one found the song! :eek:

I got a feeling that when other folks who are looking for this song finds this thread….this CD is going to be in great demand!!

I hope I can help others find this song by passing on this info like Paco did for me....Thanks again, Paco :)

Myk Rian
11-21-2013, 8:26 PM
You would keep the crowds attention by singing "Walking round in women's underwear". :eek:

Lee Schierer
11-21-2013, 8:36 PM
Do you have a smart phone? There are apps that will listen to the music and tell you all the details about it. I have one on my laptop called "Tunatic" which was a free download.

Mike Langford
11-21-2013, 9:00 PM
Lee, I have a smart phone and I downloaded Shazam and Soundhound and I played the sound bite for both and they couldn't find it....I did it to see if they would, knowing that they wouldn't, because the song is so obscure and hard to find.

Doesn't matter now...I found the song and have the CD on it's way.....:p

Bruce Page
11-21-2013, 9:41 PM
Mike, as long as you don't have a financial link to the CD, post away!

Mike Langford
11-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Bruce, I edited the post to show the link.....Thanks

Joe Tilson
11-22-2013, 9:28 AM
Mike, Please don't sing "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" Or "Blue Christmas". We heard those every other song while working at Cornell Dubilier over here in Liberty. We actually asked them to turn off the Christmas music, because we got od'd on it. Just my $.02.