PDA

View Full Version : My Solution Re-visited (now called "Desert Flower")

Dick Wilson
12-06-2011, 2:27 PM
First of December I posted a picture of a Box Elder hollow form. One nice thing about NOT gluing the top on is that one has the fexibility to change their mind:D. I liked the old version, then I didn't like it so much, then I liked it, then I didn't like it........when that happens to me my gut says NO. I was sitting at my bench, with toothpick in hand, after lunch and it came to me. I have seen a number of turnings by the worlds best that had spikey thingees. I was always intrigued by the look. Soooooo I redid the top:cool:. The first picture is the solution to my solution and the second is the original. My gut isn't saying NO any more:D. The top is official glued on so it is a done deal but I am interested to find out if I have really gone over the edge:eek::eek::D.

PS - Once in a great while it rains in deserts. In some deserts life blooms with desert flowers. In this case a flowering cactus.214966214967

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2011, 2:31 PM
WOW! What a difference!! I really like it!

John Keeton
12-06-2011, 2:43 PM
Dick, this is pure genius - however happenstance it may be!!!! Superb improvement and it elevates this piece to a whole new level.

terry mccammon
12-06-2011, 3:07 PM
really neat. I actually liked the original better, but agree it looked too much like a joke on an Ice Cream Sunday. Nice development.

Wally Dickerman
12-06-2011, 3:10 PM
Looks a bit formidable...my title..Don't Mess With Me

Dick Wilson
12-06-2011, 3:22 PM
Dick, this is pure genius - however happenstance it may be!!!! Superb improvement and it elevates this piece to a whole new level. John and Steve, glad you like the change. Even an old blind dog finds a bone once in a while:D When you like it more each time you look at it you know you have arrived. LOL Thanks for the imput earlier.....that is what this forum is about......it got me thinking and spending some time looking at the piece with a critical eye as someone else would.

Dick Wilson
12-06-2011, 3:24 PM
Looks a bit formidable...my title..Don't Mess With Me Hi Wally, Ya know, I did think of a title like that but then Desert Flower came to mind......ergo.

Scott Hackler
12-06-2011, 4:05 PM
This is on the money now. Before it was "ok" but the new found inspiration was the right direction. Very good idea and I like the desert flower look. Now apply that kind of "out of the box" thinking from now on and ....LOOK OUT!!!!

Baxter Smith
12-06-2011, 4:34 PM
I like the up and out flow better than the draped over the top look. You probably have grander plans, but if the toothpicks aren't glued in, it would make a pretty cool holder on the kitchen table.;):)

Jim Burr
12-06-2011, 4:46 PM
Now that one makes sense to me...but so does cantaloupe and cottage cheese!

Ronald Campbell
12-06-2011, 5:24 PM
Dick I like the toothpicks. I really like the texture on the top of the piece and the shadow of the toothpicks adds to it. Look forward to seeing it at our next meeting

Wally Dickerman
12-06-2011, 6:26 PM
Hi Wally, Ya know, I did think of a title like that but then Desert Flower came to mind......ergo.

Desert Flower is good....Sorta looks like a jumping cholla cactus. Lots of 'em here in Az. You don't want to get even close to one. It'll jump out and grab ya...(That's pronounced choya)

David DeCristoforo
12-06-2011, 6:27 PM
Way better than the wiggly wormy things swimming in goo! I refrained from replying before because the top just... well... it sucked! But this one works even though you might want to be careful about sitting on it!

Allan Ferguson
12-06-2011, 6:36 PM
That is out there in a good way.

Harry Robinette
12-06-2011, 7:11 PM
Dick
I really like this,You did real good. The original one,I'm with Scott OK but!! This is exactly what the piece needed to put it over the top.
You need to do more of that " listen to the gut". and the name is perfect.

Thom Sturgill
12-06-2011, 7:22 PM
I have to agree. I liked the original, but this is over the top and great.

John M. Smith
12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Very unique Dick. Are you bringing it to the guild meeting Saturday?

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I like both Dick but must say I prefer this one.

Dick Wilson
12-07-2011, 8:04 AM
Very unique Dick. Are you bringing it to the guild meeting Saturday?
Yep, with a couple of others

Scott Lux
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I was not a fan of the previous solution. Too close to a sundae for my taste. But I really like this one.

John Beaver
12-07-2011, 3:49 PM
O:k, you asked....

I think the body of the piece is beautiful. The wood is gorgeous and the texturing on the top works. I think both tops look like you are trying too hard to be different, and for me they don't really add to the piece. (they might work with other bodies with less figure in the wood). If it were me, I would do a nice simple red top, almost like the first one but without the sticks, that would make the piece more about the beauty of the wood and less about the top.

Since you went through all the trouble to make the tops, I would keep them, and design a piece to showcase them where the top is the focus.

Harvey Ghesser
12-07-2011, 4:40 PM
Dick...is the top removable? If so, how?

Mike Cruz
12-07-2011, 5:43 PM
See? Now, I like the sundae better...can't tell you why...

Bill Wyko
12-07-2011, 7:26 PM
I have to be sure to reply because I like both ways. You are an excellent turner my friend, never doubt your skills and always push the boundaries.