PDA

View Full Version : How long after waterlox?

denis tuomey
12-06-2011, 1:36 PM
Well I've finally been able to get back to the table since the weather has cooled down. Am in the oiling process now. Have applied 2 coats of 50/50 BLO/MS and 3 coats of SF Waterlox + MS-75/25. For the table top I will apply 3-4 coats of SF/MS 75/25 every 24hrs. then follow with several coats of Satin Waterlox/MS 50/50. Anyone know about how long it normally takes214963214964214965 for the fumes to dissapate enough to be able to use ? I'm hopeing by Christmas:confused:

Scott Holmes
12-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Thinning the Waterlox Sf is a waste of mineral spirits (MS). It is already a wiping varnish.

If you want to use the Satin Waterlox as a wipe-on varnish (mixing it 50/50 with MS makes it a wipe-on varnish) then every 3 to 4 wipe on coats equals one brushed on coat. So 10-12 wipe-on coats at the least for a table top. You may want to brush on the first 2 coats thengive it a few days to dry and lightly sand it flat then wipe on 4-6 coats for your final finish.

FYI Wiping a satin requires very consistant stirring of the vanish, very often. Remember that a wipe-on coat is to be applied as the kid wipes the table at the hamberger joint; a large table top should not take more than a couple of minutes.

Try to give it at least a week before light use.

You can wipe another coat as soon as the previous coat is dry to the touch. You don't need to wait 24 hors between wipe-on coats. Brush on coats you should wait 24 hours between coats.

denis tuomey
12-07-2011, 8:33 AM
Thanks Scott for the info. I believe I will follow your advice and do 2 brush on coats then wipe, that should save me some time.