PDA

View Full Version : Tung Oil on white pine ?? to get that yellow golden old log cabin look

Keith Harrell
12-06-2011, 1:35 PM
I have been helping a friend build a small book case out of borg white common pine. The book case will be in a log cabin so he wanted the light wood look with knots. The logs are from up north and look a little yellow or golden so I'm looking to try and get the book cases started to that old look pine gets with age. My first thought was a sander sealer.
I don't want to use any stains(blots) so I have tried some different polyurethanes and even a wipe on tung oil which is not to bad but have never used it before on pine.
Other treads mentioned Zinsser Sealcoat to get that look.
Any other suggestions or things I should look out for. Thanks

Scott Holmes
12-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Poly is varnish; most polys are made with linseed oil; these varnishes continue to darken with age.

Which "tung oil" are you taking about there are several out there and most aren't even made with tung oil. Pure tung oil would be a terrible choice. FYI tung oil is lighter in color than linseed oil and doesn't darken as much.

Mike Monroe
12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Might try some Watco Golden Oak, that puts a yellowish/goldish tint to wood. Watco doesn't give much protection though.

Scott Holmes
12-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Watco is an oil/varnish blend with stain added. I use an oil/varnish blend on my wooden work benches. For a cabin table made from pine I think you will be right on ther money as to what is needed.

Varnish on a softwood table that is not in a climate controlled (heated and cooled all the time) arae may not do well the oil/varnish blend will do just fine.