PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Workshop Online

Rob Sack
12-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Anyone know if the New Yankee Online site has been shut down. Every time I go on, all that's available is Program #812, Nest of Drawers. It's been like that for weeks. Previously, a new program would be posted every week.

Jerry Cappeller
12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I tried contacting the site because I wanted to order a few programs/plans for XMAS and never got a reply. I'm afraid to place an order online and end up never seeing it. I'd figure they're losing a ton of business with the silent treatment they seem to be using.

Rob Holcomb
12-06-2011, 5:19 PM
I'm glad this post was created because I placed the two cabinet making videos on my Christmas list to my wife. I better tell her to hold off on making any purchase!

Jim Rimmer
12-07-2011, 1:41 PM
Yeah, that site has been on the Nest Of Drawers for so long that I just quit checking it. :(

Jerome Hanby
12-07-2011, 1:43 PM
Some of their stuff shows up on Amazon, may be able to purchase there.

I'm glad this post was created because I placed the two cabinet making videos on my Christmas list to my wife. I better tell her to hold off on making any purchase!

russell lusthaus
12-07-2011, 4:35 PM
About four weeks ago I purchased plans from them. Called them up, gave credit card info, plans showed up in a few days. No problems whatsoever.

Greg Cuetara
12-07-2011, 7:55 PM
i was finally getting into a rhythm with checking out the new program every friday or saturday and enjoyed my ww show for the weekend even if it was a repeat. I emailed the website asking why they hadn't updated the program in a while and no response. Hopefully they can keep up with the weekly update.

Bill Edwards(2)
12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
i was finally getting into a rhythm with checking out the new program every friday or saturday and enjoyed my ww show for the weekend even if it was a repeat. I emailed the website asking why they hadn't updated the program in a while and no response. Hopefully they can keep up with the weekly update.

Ditto!

Very curious about what's going on.:confused:

Jerry Cappeller
02-10-2012, 5:18 PM
Looks like the site is completely gone now. A partial page loaded this morning. This afternoon a web hosting page showed up instead of newyankee.com and now nothing.

Chad Bender
02-10-2012, 5:22 PM
Looks like the site is completely gone now. A partial page loaded this morning. This afternoon a web hosting page showed up instead of newyankee.com and now nothing.

Looks like it's back up to me. And they acknowledge the discontinuity, without explaining it. The Deluxe Router Table episode is up for this week.

Steve Wurster
02-10-2012, 5:22 PM
It's working fine for me. I Just noticed yesterday that it's back up. They're showing the Deluxe Router Station video right now.

John McClanahan
02-10-2012, 5:59 PM
Its back! Cool! I was just about to give up. I was starting to wander if maybe Norm was having a health problem.

Mike Archambeau
02-10-2012, 6:44 PM
I am not able to see anything on the site. This is the url I have: http://www.newyankee.com/

frank shic
02-10-2012, 7:06 PM
i just watched an entire episode of NYW for the very first time today... what have i been doing all this time?!? norm has some great tips that probably would've helped although definitely not completely eliminate some of the mistakes i've made in the past!

Steve Wurster
02-10-2012, 8:17 PM
You must have a problem with your internet or DNS provider.

Dan Rude
02-11-2012, 1:47 AM
I'm having the same problem. I'll try and figure it out and post a fix. I just upgraded to IE 9 so I'm sure its a setting.

Rob Holcomb
02-11-2012, 7:43 AM
Although the site isn't updated very often anymore, the latest offering is the router station. I was able to watch the whole video without problems. I also ordered a couple of videos at Christmas and got them without issues so they are at least still selling off the site and updating every so often

Mike Cogswell
02-11-2012, 9:08 AM
You might fix it by hitting refresh or clearing your router cache.

Mike Cogswell
02-11-2012, 9:09 AM
Uh, forgot where I was. That would be your internet router not the Porter-Cable one. Clear your browser.

Mike Archambeau
02-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Well I am using Internet Explorer 9 but it still does not allow me to see the content.......must be a settings issue.....sigh.....

Jerry Cappeller
02-11-2012, 10:46 AM
All I see is the NYW sign and the drop down menus; other than that the screen is blank and clicking on any menu item just leaves the same empty screen. I'm using IE 9 and before they went down yesterday the site worked fine...except for the online video remaining the Nest of Boxes one that's been there for ages.

Kevin Presutti
02-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Well I'm not sure what you guys are getting but the first few times I went there I pulled up some page called bluehost, Well I just keep clicking and I finally get to the New Yankee Workshop page but only the header with the links with in the site showing when I click, nothing. When this post started before christmas I had the same problem. You guys that watched the router table video in the last few days must be blessed.

Steve Wurster
02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
If you are seeing bad page displays then that is most likely your browser. Try downloading either Firefox or Chrome and see if that works any better. Does IE9 have the compatibility option that previous versions did? You could click what looked like a broken page next to the address bar to turn compatibility on and off. It's possible the New Yankee website is attempting to take advantage of known issues in previous versions of IE, and IE9 no longer has those issues. But turning on compatibility mode may make it behave like an older version.

If you are seeing bluehost issues then try typing the "www." part before the website. Some internet providers like to perform their own redirection rather than letting the browser do it for you. So when you leave off the "www" the New Yankee website tries to tell the browser to go to "www.newyankee.com" instead, but bluehost grabs that and sends the browser to their own page instead. That behavior has ticked off a number of people in the internet community because it's not really standard.

john bateman
02-11-2012, 12:30 PM
http://www.diyspeakercabinets.com/pecker/nywebsite.gif
This image shows what I see at the site. The left is Internet Explorer, the right is Firefox

Mark Godlesky
02-11-2012, 1:50 PM
I get the same screen (left) as John with IE8, but can watch the video with Chrome.

Steve Wurster
02-11-2012, 3:05 PM
In the address bar in IE from right to left there is the X for stopping the page, the circle arrow for refresh, and then the broken page icon. Click that icon to turn compatibility mode on and see what happens.

Ole Anderson
02-11-2012, 9:49 PM
In the address bar in IE from right to left there is the X for stopping the page, the circle arrow for refresh, and then the broken page icon. Click that icon to turn compatibility mode on and see what happens.

Still didn't work for me. Pretty lame that a website doesn't work with IE.

Steve Wurster
02-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Still didn't work for me. Pretty lame that a website doesn't work with IE.

To be fair, IE has been ignoring web standards for quite some time. But usually you find things the other way: a site that works great in IE and poorly under every other browser.

It looks like the New Yankee Workshop site has a JavaScript issue. IE complains about one of the script commands and fails to render the remainder of the page. The page text has been loaded into the browser, it just doesn't display correctly. I'd email the webmaster but I cannot find an address for that anywhere on their pages.

Mike Archambeau
02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
All I see is the NYW sign and the drop down menus; other than that the screen is blank and clicking on any menu item just leaves the same empty screen. I'm using IE 9 and before they went down yesterday the site worked fine...except for the online video remaining the Nest of Boxes one that's been there for ages.

exactly what I see too.......................

Rob Holcomb
02-12-2012, 7:42 AM
A simpler solution would be to download and install a different browser. You can still use Internet Explorer if that's your favorite but you will have another choice when web sites give you fits. Personally, I have IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari with Firefox being my "Go To" browser 99% of the time.

Derek Stockley
02-12-2012, 8:54 AM
It looks like they upgraded their video player software. It looks to me like a pretty good improvement in video quality.

Mike Archambeau
02-12-2012, 11:32 AM
works with Google Chrome for me.....too bad about that MS Explorer though....that is really lame......

Jarod Michaels
02-12-2012, 6:47 PM
I am using Firefox 3.6.26. Firefox complains that it is out of date, and wants to upgrade but I don't allow it to. The video plays fine for me. I would suggest clearing your cookies and deleting your temporary internet files. You can also flush you dns cache by going to the Start menu, finding the run command and typing cmd for command. This will bring up an old style dos prompt. In the new window, type IPCONFIG /flush dns after the window states that your cache has been cleared, you can either X out of the window or type exit. Close your browser and reopen it. Good luck.
Oh by the way the upcoming episode list is:
Program Schedule: (including Weekly Special Offerings)

week of:
February 20: Planters Desk
February 27: Turkey Table
March 5: Nantucket Settle
March 12 : Tiger Maple Washstand