PDA

View Full Version : Two simple questions...

Nick Syrax
12-06-2011, 9:25 AM
For once I don't have an emergency. I was wondering if someone could recommend a respirator for someone with a beard, and I was wondering if there was a tool for looping basic keyrings through the keyring hole, I have 500 keychains and don't want to kill my fingers by the time I'm finished. TIA!!!

Dan Hintz
12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Small flatblade screwdriver. Hold ring upright against table, fingers on top, just barely holding onto the ring with the bottoms of the fingertips. Screwdriver between fingers and resting in the groove between the two coils of the ring. A light tap of the screwdriver top will usually slide it between the coils. Twist the screwdriver to separate the coils.

Jeff Belany
12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree about the screwdriver but here's the way I have done it -- clamp the screwdriver to your table/desk top then just insert the keyring on to the screwdriver blade and twist. With the blade firm you have both hands free. Works pretty good.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Nick Syrax
12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
In reference to the respirator, would I get a better, tighter seal using a full face respirator rather than a half face since I have a beard?

Chris DeGerolamo
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
You can use split ring pliers for the keyrings

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2011, 1:22 PM
In reference to the respirator, would I get a better, tighter seal using a full face respirator rather than a half face since I have a beard?Depends on what you mean by "full-face": most of the ones marketed that way fit the same as the half-face models down in the chin area anyway. But a "full-head" style (e.g. Triton) will definitely get the job done unless you're in a situation where you need to take it off and put it on every few minutes.

(EDIT: This thread may help: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?56587-Trend-Airshield-Vs-Triton-Resporator)

Paul Grothouse
12-06-2011, 8:38 PM
Beard with a respirator? Only real way to do it is a make up air hood. Depending on what you are doing, a Triton is is good for dust, but if you are talking about finishing you will need something like this:
http://www.labsafety.com/allegro-one-worker-hood-system-kit_s_29363/

John Noell
12-06-2011, 8:46 PM
For the split rings, we made a tool out of 6mm clear acrylic, approximately 6x6x100mm. One end is a relatively sharp wedge (about 20mm long) for opening the ring. Once the ring is open, slide the tool in past the wedge. And, unlike the screwdriver, you don't have to worry about it twisting and slipping back flat (and pinching you). :)

Randy Digby
12-06-2011, 9:32 PM
For the key rings..I'll try to explain how I do it. I attach trigger snaps (like dog leash snaps) to plastic plates with a hole in them. Sometimes the customer only wants the key ring attached. I have a trigger snap that I sawed out a portion of the eye. I use a pocket knife and holding the ring and trigger snap in my left hand, I open the split ring enough to get the trigger snap started under the end of the split ring. Now I spin the ring around and let the open end of the ring enter the tag. The trigger snap stays in the key ring and helps keep the ring open as I spin it around until the ring is completely installed on the plate. The trigger snap is now removed by passing the ring through the slot that was cut out. If you need more, I'll try to post a pic. I have been installing from 50 to 300 rings a day using this method for about seven years now and I do it sometimes with my eyes closed just to show off.

As for the respirator, I fought fire for about eight years and beards and air seals just don't go together very well.